Heating and cooling for my new (hopefully) shop

You can get them with pre-charged hoses of any length you want. That makes owner installation quite possible, subject to local laws... If you can install a machine tool, you can install a mini split.

I've made an offer on a place with a really nice shop. The shop is 1632 square feet and insulated. The previous owner restored classic cars there.

It's in Silverlake, WA and it gets pretty cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It's right on the lake and it's windy I'm told. There is no heat source in the shop now and I've been looking into a mini split system. Mrcool has one that is precharged and a total DIY install.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MRCOOL-...r-and-Heat-Pump-230V-DIY-36-HP-230A/207075124

I'm going to have a mini split system put in the house and will get a $1500 rebate from the power company for that, but not one for the shop unfortunately.

Has anyone had experience heating and cooling their shop with a mini split system?

Not heating a shop. When I was an expat in China for 4 years, my wife and I lived in a 3 level 3500 square foot corporate apartment. The place had these units in every room. Where we were it froze by November sometimes through March, then the summer is in the 90s with real high humidity. These units kept us comfortable throughout the years and never once we had any problem with any of the units. The timeframe was 2000-2004. The apartment was a year old when we moved in. My guess the splits were 1998 vintage, all made in China, the units they are exporting now should at least be as reliable as the ones we had, if not better.

Ours ran 24 hours.

Back