Heating and cooling shop?

Bob, the unit being quoted are good for as low as -10 degrees F.......which where I live is plenty good enough.
A one ton (12KBTU) unit will work for your 900 sq. ft. shop provided it is well insulated and you don't live in a region with extremely high summer temperatures. 18KBTU would be my preference. Assuming this is a heat pump, the -10 deg F performance will be marginal. Will it provide some heat at -10 deg ? Sure, it's just physics, but it won't be a lot.

Ted

Last edited:
Well, looks like Bob and I are typing at the same time.

Ted

Well, looks like Bob and I are typing at the same time.

Ted
Ted knows more about HVAC than I ever will. Ted, is my description of how heat pumps work reasonable, if maybe a little clunky?

Bob has it right.
My house has a heat pump with an electric heat strip. Below 25 degrees, it really doesn't do the trick, and the heater strip can only put in so much heat, so I have supplemental Propane heat. You can't pull much heat out of cold air. Never mind how heat pumps work-the laws of thermodynamics don't change just 'cause we don't like the result.

Think about how a heat pump works. For cooling, it takes your shop heat, compresses it even hotter, and then moves the heat to the hot outside air. You are transferring, say, heat from 200F coils to 100F outside air. For heating, it takes heat out of the cold air and moves it into your shop. When the air that you are taking the heat out of becomes more and more really cold, it becomes more and more difficult to compress the Freon enough to make it hot enough to efficiently transfer heat into your shop. Yes, they will work at low temperatures, but at lower and lower BTU output (and efficiency) as the outside temperature declines. It is a function of how much heat is in the outside air, and how much the freon is compressed, which becomes problematic for affordable and reliable compressors. In cold country, heat pumps usually work better when using ground water to add heat to the freon. It might be "good" down to -10 degrees F, but does not put out as much heat, an efficiency and comfort issue.
I understand and was given the spec sheet attached....

Attachments

• 3AEE7B71-B7E5-4902-A6FC-9D507497DB4C.jpeg
    3AEE7B71-B7E5-4902-A6FC-9D507497DB4C.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 19
"Operating temperature" is the range of temperatures where it is safe to operate the equipment without it being damaged, does not say anything about output or efficiency at those temperatures...

I bought a 3/4 ton Gree mini split from HD 2 years ago for my 400 sq ft shop in a climate similar to yours. It never fails to make more enough heat beyond it’s stated low temperature limit. Here’s the rub; you have to keep it on all the time. If you want intermittent ability, stick to fossil fuels or resistive electric.

1 ton mini split. (12,000 btu)
$1,385 diy installed. 20 X 20 shop.
My garage is fully insulated, it’s 100 outside and my whisper quiet ac unit has my shop to 76.
I love it!

I just finished installing a MrCool DIY mini split in my attic electronics workshop today. The instructions left something to be desired and it definitely wasn't the 1 hour job advertised but all in all, it went fairly smoothly. It is an 18K BTU unit with a vfd drive compressor so once you hit the target temperature, it idles down. Both the inside unit and the compressor are remarkably quiet. It also functions as a heat pump for cool weather heating ( above 4ºF). Bought it on sale for under $1,200. Add a compressor mount and some electrical supplies, and I was still under $1,300.

I haven't got the WiFi feature figured out yet but when I do, I will be able to control it from anywhere there is internet capability.

Great,
I just wish the 25’ tubing was adjustable.

Back