Heating The Shop

Hi Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I last posted. For heating/ac I decided to go with a Mitsu mini-split. I insulated the walls with R23 Roxul. The main hold up now is getting an electrician to wire the shop. One came out and did a day's work then didn't show up again. :frown 2: Hoped to have the shop up and running by now. Here are a few pictures of the work done this summer.

shop1.jpg shop2.jpg shop3.jpg shop4.jpg shop5.jpg shop6.jpg

Shop is looking good. Seems to take for ever, but eventually it gets there. I'll do your wiring if you'll do my sheet rock.:) Cheers, Mike

The way things are going it will be next spring before the shop is done. How long have you been working on yours?
Mitch

This is the second year, but we are gone for 4 1/2 months in the winter. Hopefully I will get all the siding and trim done before we leave at the end of November. Got slowed down by wet weather, necessary work on my rentals, and my Dad's health issues among other things. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, just hope it's not a train coming the other way. :grin: Mike

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

The shop walls will be R29 and the ceiling R42. My location is in the zone 5 area of West Virginia, the past few winters have been colder than usual. I am leaning toward a propane Modine Hot Dawg. If I were to use electric heat it would probably require a separate service to the garage. The power company quoted $2800 for that, if I dig the trench, build the transformer pad and run in the conduit.

I have a Hot Dawg and it works great. My garage is 20' x 24' x 8.5' high and it warms it up to 80 F if you want that. I keep it on just under 50 F so nothing will freeze in the garage when I'm not out there. I live SW of Chicago, and our winters can be pretty brutal. I can work out there in shorts and a tank top if I want to, or dress normally and keep it lower. In the summer I have a 12,000 BTU (1 ton) window unit that does the job nicely.

My shop is small, 10' x 28', is well insulated and attached to the back on my garage. I originally used a no vent 30k BTU propane heated but I found that it put so much moisture in the air that I was getting a lot of surface rust on all my equipment and hand tools so I had to remove it and install electric heaters. No more RUST but expensive to run. Bob

Finally found an electrician! Spoke with the electrical company and decided to with an underground service. Time to start that 270' trench.

shop7.jpg

Got a start on the trench. The shale/clay mix makes for slow progress. My dog inspected and approved the work.

shop8.jpg shop9.jpg shop10.jpg

Isn't using a backhoe cheating? :grin:
I do believe that your shop is better insulated than my home.
That looks like it will be very comfortable indeed.

Back