Heavy 10 Carriage Lock Dimensions?

CuriousRambler

Registered
Registered
A question for anyone who's ever had their carriage lock out of their heavy 10: does it look like this one?

s-l500.jpg

I've been missing mine since I bought the lathe some years ago. Just bought this one off ebay, which was an excited purchase for more than I care to admit, because I've been wanting it for years, and I've never seen an original one pop up for sale. Yes, I could machine one, or buy a new repro one, but there's something about being original.

Now, looking back at the auction, it's listed as (edit to correct): "Original South Bend Heavy 9 10 Lathe Carriage Saddle Apron Lock," which my brain clearly read what it was hoping to see.

It doesn't want to fit in the machine. If I drop the apron, it will rest almost in the right spot, but the bolt doesn't quite align. The rear ear (upper/right in the photo) doesn't come close to fitting into the apron. Searching here now, I found this post, which clearly shows a different piece.

Can anyone provide a sanity check, and confirm I bought the wrong piece in my haste? I hate to inquire about a refund before I'm certain I was stupid with the purchase, rather than being stupid with the installation.

I'm thinking I bought a 9/10k lock, in my excitement :(

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
Carriage stop is a separate item that clamps on front V way. IT is used to stop the carriage at a repeatable location.

Carriage stop is a separate item that clamps on front V way. IT is used to stop the carriage at a repeatable location.

Right, that was a typo on my part. Clearly what's pictured is not a carriage stop for anything. I copy/pasted the actual auction title into the original post to prevent anyone's confusion.

59169624f9fab28702bc9ff5cea01178.jpg

FYI, here is the original from my SB 9” Junior....notice the crack, yes I superglued it back together. Like they say, Junior parts don’t fit anything but a Junior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on the money, it is not one for a heavy 10. The one the original poster showed looks like a 9/10k saddle lock to me.

joe

Check this thread for more pic's
My lock on my '49 9A looks like the one pictured there on the right

Sorry 'bout that, I forgot to hit the paste button!
Musta been a senior moment!

Last edited:
It's been a year since your post so you may have learned that the carriage lock is for a South Bend 9. If you still have the lock and want to sell it let me know the price.

Back