Heavy 10 Collet Closer - Videos?

I've always found that the second (and third) attempts go MUCH faster than the first.

One of the machinists I worked with once said of Fred, "He can scrap a part and remake it in less time than it takes for most guys to scrap the first one."

This is a great thread, thank you guys for all the info within. Is there any reason a simple sleeve with a keyway broached into it can't be pressed on the spindle, and butted up to the non-lengthened spindle reverse gear? Obviously the intent would be for that sleeve to be the proper length to give an overall of 2" between the sleeve and non-lengthened spindle reverse gear.

MrWhoopee, maybe I'm just seeing something that's not there, but it almost looks like this is what is on your lathe in Post #2 - are those small tack welds between such a sleeve and the reverse gear? Or are those little button head screws that pin something in place?

This is a great thread, thank you guys for all the info within. Is there any reason a simple sleeve with a keyway broached into it can't be pressed on the spindle, and butted up to the non-lengthened spindle reverse gear? Obviously the intent would be for that sleeve to be the proper length to give an overall of 2" between the sleeve and non-lengthened spindle reverse gear.
The keyway on the spindle is only a small woodriff key holder. The keyway doesn't extend to the end. But to answer your question, there is no reason not to do what you suggest. The sleeve (or the long gear) doesn't drive anything and only serves as a mounting point for the rest of the closer. Part of the closer mates with the keyway in the gear, so you'll have to remove any keys from that part, too. These parts operate just fine with just a light press fit. You'll have to devise a way for the removal of said extension, since it will no longer be obvious. Maybe two notches for a gear puller up at the gear end.

MrWhoopee, maybe I'm just seeing something that's not there, but it almost looks like this is what is on your lathe in Post #2 - are those small tack welds between such a sleeve and the reverse gear? Or are those little button head screws that pin something in place?
I believe what you are seeing are set-screws. Some previous owner put them in for reasons unclear. My closer is missing the woodruff key but it doesn't seem to matter.

Back