Heavy 10 Collet Closer - Videos?

silverhawk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey, folks;

My Heavy 10L originally came with a collet system, and I've been trying to piece that back together. I located a flea-bay closer, but after getting it, I'm thinking it is missing a few parts.

Does anyone have a video of a collet closer in action (how they work)? I'm wondering if I need a different spindle gear on the outboard end of the spindle, and I do know the closer has a woodruff key spot in it with nothing in that area (I expect something that can lock over the spindle gear). Here's what I have (ignore the missing gear covers, parts are still being rebuilt) :

20190724_172824.jpg

(As a side note, this whole thing is being "re" built using parts. I did not start with a full lathe, just a head stock, then adding parts as I find them.)

Thanks!
Joe (silverhawk)

Last edited:
The correct gear has a sleeve on the outboard end with a keyway for the woodruff key.

View attachment 299061
View attachment 299060

Perfect! That gets me closer. I think my headstock doesn't have a place for the bracket to bolt up to, so I might have to revisit this whole thing (or make a bracket for the bracket). Those pictures and your description tell me what I need to know! Much appreciated!

silverhawk

The arm slips over a stud that threads into a tapped hole on the back side of the spindle bearing.

WP_20190725_07_25_44_Pro[1].jpg

It looks like that you have the arm mounted upside down. It's hard to tell from your pics, but some of the parts, including the arm and lever, do not appear to be original.

It doesn't look like your closer is a SB part. Here's the diagram for the Hand Lever Collet Closer:

Hand Lever Collet Attachment 10L.jpg

A discrepancy between that chart and a previous picture is the gear - it looks backwards. However, both indicate I've got the proper components for a heavy 10 as mine is nearly exact (including the bracket).

20190726_063541.jpg

20190726_063608.jpg

The clutch is shaped a little differently from the breakdown drawing, but the shape of the bracket leads me to believe it is the right one. Can someone tell me the overhang of the gear on the spindle, and the outside diameter? I can make one of those if they don't show up at the usual places.

silverhawk

Your handle is upside down. Please flip it so that the oil cup is upright and take another picture. Also, the amount of overhang is shown on the clutch sleeve (part # 22).

I didn't realize that you couldn't zoom into the diagram that I posted, so I am posting it here as a file.

Attachments

• Hand Lever Collet Attachment 10L.jpg
    Hand Lever Collet Attachment 10L.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 43
Thanks, SLK001. I'll rotate the handle and check the clutch sleeve for some numbers as soon as I can get back to it. Much appreciate the instructions, as this is completely new territory for me. Again, thanks!

After checking on it, there are no numbers or letters stamped into the clutch. I reversed the lever, and found I am also missing the oiler on the top (it looks like someone didn't have parts and just put a second set screw on the top. I'll have to work on sourcing that along with the spindle gear (I have the 16DP 14.5PA gear cutter set to make a new one if I can't find one). I'll also have to drill and tap the hole in the headstock for the bracket, but for a shot in the dark (and not knowing what I'm doing until I'm in the middle of parts), it has the potential to be successful. I definitely appreciate this forum and you folks!

There probably isn't a number stamped on the clutch. If there is, it will be the number shown in the table of the diagram. McMaster has the oiler for the top - while you are there, you might want to pick up the cup oilers for the headstock bearings. I see that one is missing, don't know about the other.

You shouldn't have to drill and tap any hole - they are put on at the factory since the early '50's, possibly even earlier. Look at post #4 for the location of the hole that the pivot pin should be placed in. If you don't have the pin, I've attached a .pdf of the pin (I've had to make these before). If the hole has never been used before, you might have to exert some effort to clean all the years of gunk that has accumulated in it. Once clean, chase it with a ⅜ x 16 tap to the full depth.

Attachments

• Hand Lever Collet Pin-Model.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 35
Back