Heavy 10 gearing help needed.

Mchauck01

Registered
Registered
I am restoring a South Bend Heavy 10. I need to make a cone gear and the lever idler. The formula for fear circumstance is #teeth +2/DP. The idler is a 27 tooth gear. Circumference is 29/16 = 1.812. But the gear measures 2 something. It leads me to believe I have the DP wrong. It won’t work with 14DP either. Please tell me what the cone gear and lever idler DP is in a 1944 heavy 10. Thanks.

Circumfrence is the distance AROUND something, DIAMETER is the distance across the round part. "Cone gear" is not a familiar term.

Circumfrence is the distance AROUND something, DIAMETER is the distance across the round part. "Cone gear" is not a familiar term.
[

Thanks John. I will open the Machinery’s Handbook and try again.

Sorry. I misspoke.

Diameter = N + 2 / DP.

I’m using this formula and coming up wrong.

A 14dp 27 tooth gear would be a 2.0714" diameter. Very close to what you've measured. I suspect you've had a calculation brain fart somewhere along the line?

So we are on the same page.....the "cone pinion" is the gear on the spindle. It drives the "twin gears". The twin gears drive the "reverse gear", which is on the same shaft as the "stud gear". The stud gear drives the "idler gear, which in turn drives the "screw gear".
I suspect your your machine has a single tumbler gearbox and may be different than mine which has 2 levers. On mine, the top 4 gears are 18DP, from the stud gear on down they are 16DP.

A 14dp 27 tooth gear would be a 2.0714" diameter. Very close to what you've measured. I suspect you've had a calculation brain fart somewhere along the line?
It def wouldn’t be the first time.

Back