Heavy 10 project

OK . Yes , there are badges but they are worn off . Spindle bore is 1.030" .

Im thinking you either have a heavy 9 or a 10k, ordering the serial number card from Grizzly will tell you exactly what you have, what year it was made, and even who it was sold to. I think mine was like $20 or so, well worth it imo.

Thanks Greg . It's too cold out in the garage to look into it . It's another spring project . :) I'm following along the SB threads now .

Im thinking you either have a heavy 9 or a 10k, ordering the serial number card from Grizzly will tell you exactly what you have, what year it was made, and even who it was sold to. I think mine was like $20 or so, well worth it imo.

The "RKR" in the serial number indicates that it is a heavy 10 in the 10R instantiation (the first "R" in that serial # indicates heavy 10, the K is for "gear box", and the second R is the spindle, hence a heavy 10R). Mine is an "RKL", or a 10L. The 10L had a 2 1/4"-8 thread, while the 10R had a 1 7/8"-8 thread. Remember, that is an outside diameter for the thread, not an inside diameter for a through hole. 10R's also had about a 1" through-hole in the spindle if I recall. The 10L's supposedly had a larger through hole than the 10R's, but I've never really measured mine. I've heard rumors that you could swap the spindle between a 10L and a 10R, and that it was the primary difference between the two.

Greg is pointing you to getting the serial number card. That is the best advice you can get, really. I think they go for about $25, now.

This thread resurrection is actually fairly timely. My heavy 10 project is just getting started. I gotta read back through this again.

Thanks Hawk for the clarification on numbers . So it is a Heavy 10 , and yes it does have the 1.030 spindle bore . I got out to the garage yesterday actually and had a chance to look it over . Decided I'm going to unload it . I would love to take it on as a project but I have bigger fish to fry at the moment . I'll post it in the machines for sale section here and then on CL in a weeks time .

Back