Heavy 10 project

carriage-assembly-001.jpg carriage-assembly-002.jpg carriage-assembly-003.jpg carriage-assembly-004.jpg carriage-assembly-005.jpg Well I have made some more progress so I guess it's time for an update. First pic shows all the saddle parts painted and the completed apron. Second pic shows what the dials and shafts looked like before I reworked them. You can see the saddle mounted to the bed with new felt wipers and what the dials and shafts look like after showing them a little love. Last pic is the completed saddle, I did have to make some new gib screw locks as the originals where missing. I just used some 1/8" brass rod.

Last edited:
carriage-assembly-006.jpg carriage-assembly-007.jpg carriage-assembly-008.jpg carriage-assembly-009.jpg carriage-assembly-010.jpg Here's a couple of better pics of the dials, there not perfect but they are nice imo. And a couple of pics of the saddle, apron, lead screw, and gear box assembled and mounted on the lathe. Everything works well when I turn the leadscrew by hand. Switch mount pedestal is also mounted.

Last edited:
carriage-assembly-011.jpg carriage-assembly-012.jpg So I finally moved on to the head stock, this is a used one that I purchased on ebay to replace the original that the previous owner did a poor repair job on. I have not been able to work on this till now due to an injury. I pulled the caps and everything is as it should be, original bearings and dove tail adjusters all intact, no scoring or ridges on the spindle. This is a major relief for me knowing that I have a good base to work with now. I will show it the same love that I have shown all the other parts to this point, I will pay close attention to getting the proper clearance for the spindle bearings set.

Last edited:
looking very nice. you got me wanting to get a heavy 10 now . my wife is going to kill me lol

The Heavy 10 is looking just superb! Man you are doing a great job...:worship:

What procedure to clean and shine the compound dials, handles, etc...?

You GO my friend!!

The Heavy 10 is looking just superb! Man you are doing a great job...:worship:

What procedure to clean and shine the compound dials, handles, etc...?

You GO my friend!!

I just wire wheeled them to remove rust, paint etc. Then a very light sanding on the handles with 220 grit sand paper, then a final buffing with emory compound. Like I said, not perfect but they came out pretty nice. The shafts I just cleaned in a parts washer with mineral spirits and a soft wire brush. This lathe is going to be a user so I intend to get it dirty! This restore is mostly to inspect and refelt and lube all the mechanicals before I put it into service, I have corrected many things that where either missing or wrong.

GREAT work Greg, keep it up! So are you making a list of projects for this machine to turn out. Can't have a machine looking this well and not making chips. :nono:

GREAT work Greg, keep it up! So are you making a list of projects for this machine to turn out. Can't have a machine looking this well and not making chips. :nono:
My main use of the lathe will be for tool making, mostly wood turning chisels. A kid I work with want's me to make him a special tool for his dirt bike. Maybe some motorcycle parts for me. I dunno, the list seems to be growing! I do intend to use the lathe and not just let it sit in a corner and look pretty!
Today I got the headstock completely tore down and a trip to the parts washer for a good scrubbing and degreasing, scrubbed it good with a wire brush, sprayed it down with brake clean and now I just gotta remove the paint and repaint. I try and work on it when I get time.

Back