Heavy 10 project

The collet closer popped right off when I removed the coller, self releasing, ...

There's that too! I've just never bothered to buy a spanner for my lathes, but that's the better way to do it. Guess I figured yours didn't come with one either. Probably should invest the $20 from Graingers one of these days and use the aluminum for something else. Can't wait to see how your lathe cleans up.

Regards,
Jeremy

Splat, I ordered the rebuild kit with manual and the oil pack also, I might get them by friday or early next week. I guess I better get busy stripping and prepping for paint!

Splat, Thanks for the tips, I do plan to get the proper oils, did you get your oil pack from the same guy that sells the rebuild kit and manual?

I got the oils from Bluechipmachineshop on Ebay. Click on the link I provided in my previous post and it'll take you right to the auction for the oil pack.

wood turners. And that is also why the large bore and short bed work for me. I really don't think this lathe saw much use, or it was cared for very well untill it was warehoused and forgot about.

Don't worry so much about the "short bed", as some guys might call a 3.5' bed. That large bore will help out significantly, unless you do big diameter pieces.

etard, I will probably get both a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, 4 jaw first as I need to turn square stock to round. I'm thinking 6" will probably be just fine.

Well a friend came over today and helped me get the lathe out of the truck and into my basement, set it up on saw horses and started to tinker with it a little. I pulled all the covers off for an inspection and got everything to turn freely by hand, gearbox works, back gear works, and bull gear engages and disengages freely, all a good sign. I ordered the rebuild kit and manual off of feebay, the 4 oils in a kit, and I am in the negotiation stage with a seller for a belt cover and back gear eccentric and lever assy, as mine is broken off, it works but the lever is broken off. I still need to find a small bull gear cover as that is broken also. The pedestal for the switch mount was broken and I had it tig welded for free from one of the weld shops I deliver to for my work. I have 5 parts loaded into my car for taking to a media blaster. The pedestal I will chemicaly strip as I do not want to get sand and grit into the bearings, I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to. If I give the pully and shaft assy in the pedestal a spin by hand it spins for a long time and makes no noise and has no play, If it aint broke don't fix it. So I am making progress and having a blast doing this, very exciting! The ways show absolutely no wear at all! This lathe must not have seen any commercial use. The ways will probable clean up with a buffing pad and some oil, amazing what I did to them with just my finger. Maybe I'll try some flits or something like it.

So today I took some parts to the media blaster, door for base pedestal and both covers for the same, legs, on/off switch mouunt, and drip pan. All were blasted with aluminum oxide, I dropped them off and 4 hrs later they called and they were done, I will pick up tomorrow and get some pics to show how they came out before I prime them. Deals were made on ebay for some parts and I might see them next week.
So as I have been tinkering with this thing and waiting for the rebuild kit and manual to come and as I have been cleaning and inspecting a thought came to mind.
If I remove the headstock to refinish and paint the bed will I have any problems with realigning the headstock. I wouldn't think so as there only appears to be 2 bolts and the v ways would hold it in alignment when it's reinstalled. Is this correct???

On mine - the headstock had two bed clamps (front and back) and a dowel pin in the bed that the hedstock sat on for alignment.

Rick

On mine - the headstock had two bed clamps (front and back) and a dowel pin in the bed that the hedstock sat on for alignment.

Rick
Thanks for the reply Rick! I kinda thought from looking at it that it would hold it's alignment when reinstalled. It will be much easier to strip and prep the bed for paint without the headstock in the way.
I picked up the parts from the media blaster today and they look great! I'll try to get some picks this weekend. I got the oil pack of ebay today and the felt rebuild kit and manual, Looks like I have some reading to do! The step pully belt cover and back gear lever should be in next week. Making progress and moving along, albeit slowly.

I was worried about headstock alignment and didn't want to pull it off. After more reading I decided I did pull the headstock. Mine too, sits in the V's and has the alignment pin in the way bed. There is not movement whatsoever after I put the headstock back onto the bed. :phew: You should be ok.

DSCF0232.jpg DSCF0233.jpg DSCF0234.jpg I found a media blaster near me that did some stuff for me, I had 6 pieces blasted with aluminum oxide and they came out great! The chip pan has a few extra holes in it that I am going to weld up and grind smooth before painting. The previous owner drilled and mounted some crummy looking fixtures that I am not going to put back on. I circled the holes to be filled in with weld.

Last edited:
Back