[4]

Heavy 10 project

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

woodtickgreg

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
covers-009.jpg covers-010.jpg covers-011.jpg One more pic of all the covers installed. Then I tore into the tail stock, got some paint stripping to do and some buffing of the shiney parts before I can paint it and get it installed. The oil fill cap for the tail stock is smashed and damaged, gotta try and find one of those, If not I have an idea that will work. Oh and I did find a used correct micrometer carriage stop, should get it next week maybe, it is the long bullet style and a correct piece. now I just have to figure out what the one I have fits and see if I can sell it! At least it's already restored and the buyer can just bolt it on, I wonder if it fits a 9?
covers-009.jpgcovers-010.jpgcovers-011.jpg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

Active User
Inspirational Greg! Time to get her dirty now and make some chips!
Soon my friend, soon. Gotta get the tail stock done, restore the work light, make a belt install the switch and wire it, purchase and install a vfd, run a 220 line to the vfd, a little work to do yet, but I finally feel very close!

woodtickgreg

Active User
If you look on page 2 post no. 45 of this thread you will see what a card looks like, it contains a lot of useful info on it, when it was made and shipped, who it was sold to, components that where used etc. You can order a pdf file copy of a serial card from grizzly, I think it cost $25.00.

woodtickgreg

Active User
chuck-001.jpg chuck-002.jpg chuck-003.jpg chuck-004.jpg chuck-005.jpg I forgot all about this, a few months back I found a 8" 4 jaw independent chuck, mt3 live center, and a to large tool holder for a good price. I figured I can sell or trade the mt3 live center and get a mt2 live center, sell the tool holder and get a bxa quick change tool holder. I still need to get a 3 jaw scroll chuck, I was looking for a 6" chuck but all these tools where brand new and coated with grease or cosmoline and I couldn't pass them up. The 8" chuck is a little large but I think the mass will be a good thing. I still need to get some brass round stock to make some shoes for the set screws that lock the chuck to the spindle, the brass will protect the threads on the spindle. Name brand on the chuck is unitop, I'm sure it's chinese but it seems decent quality.
chuck-002.jpgchuck-001.jpgchuck-003.jpgchuck-004.jpgchuck-005.jpg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

Active User
chuck-006.jpg chuck-007.jpg chuck-008.jpg These are the tools I will sell or trade, the live ball bearing center is a mt3, I need an mt2. The tool holder I will just sell outright as I want a bxa quick change tool post. At least I think the bxa would be the right size for a 10" lathe, little beefier cutters?
chuck-006.jpgchuck-007.jpgchuck-008.jpg

I have been working on the tail stock, cleaning, stripping paint, and polishing. Pics when it's done.

Last edited:
N

Nelson

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Damn, what a nice job! I gotta make you a bigger banner! :man:I marvel at how shiny you got the metal covers.

woodtickgreg

Active User
Damn, what a nice job! I gotta make you a bigger banner! :man:I marvel at how shiny you got the metal covers.
Since you put my project front and center I figured I needed to step it up! LOL

radial1951

Active User
Registered
Where to get a Heavy 10 Thrust Bearing.

Greg, Your SB H10 is VERY nice. I know exactly how much work you have put into it. I did the same thing to mine in 1975, when I was a bit younger! Seeing your photos is like going back in time. After 37 years, mine could do with a bit of polish now, but it has stood up pretty well. The spindle bearings have never needed touching. Except the ball thrust bearing is no longer perfect. Because the balls and/or races are worn, the spindle floats a few tenths of a thous, in an apparently irregular fashion, as it rotates.

Have you, or any other forum members, been able to source a replacement ball thrust bearing? These early H10 lathes have been around quite a while now, and there must be many of them soon to encounter a similar problem, if they haven't already.

Again, well done on your rebuild. Here's a photo of my 1947 Heavy 10, still nice to use after all these years. You will really enjoy yours, especially as you know it inside-out.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

DSCF8056 LoRes.jpeg

woodtickgreg

Active User
Re: Where to get a Heavy 10 Thrust Bearing.

Greg, Your SB H10 is VERY nice. I know exactly how much work you have put into it. I did the same thing to mine in 1975, when I was a bit younger! Seeing your photos is like going back in time. After 37 years, mine could do with a bit of polish now, but it has stood up pretty well. The spindle bearings have never needed touching. Except the ball thrust bearing is no longer perfect. Because the balls and/or races are worn, the spindle floats a few tenths of a thous, in an apparently irregular fashion, as it rotates.

Have you, or any other forum members, been able to source a replacement ball thrust bearing? These early H10 lathes have been around quite a while now, and there must be many of them soon to encounter a similar problem, if they haven't already.

Again, well done on your rebuild. Here's a photo of my 1947 Heavy 10, still nice to use after all these years. You will really enjoy yours, especially as you know it inside-out.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951
Ross, what a great looking lathe! This whole obsession with the restore all started as a suggestion of many members here to check the wicks. I'm glad I took their advice as they where hard and packed with crud. But it seems as I have this problem with not being able to do things so so, I was just going to clean it and rewick it and use it, well you can see how far I got with that. LOL I am glad I have done this restore as it has tought me everything about the machine and it has been a fun project that I can't wait to use! I think it's as close to a new south bend as I can get. I am going to use it as it was meant to be. I still have some work to do yet, and I am working on the tail stock currently. As far as the take up thrust bearing goes, I got lucky and my originals where in good shape and I used them in the used head stock. I have .001 of end play and she spins easy by hand. The used one was missing a ball also. I think this has come up in discussion here before but I can't remember where?

rwiederrich

Registered
Here's a few pics of some spindle parts before cleaning. The new used spindle bearing shows signs of being run low on oil or without proper bearing clearance, it has some wear but no major galling, I think it will clean up ok. These are the 2 spindles, the top one is the original and the one I will use, it is in a little better shape even though both are good. 2 sets of take up bearings, the original is in great shape, I wonder where the ball went from the other one! LOL The cone pully from the original will also be used, someone did a half a$$ cleanup on the bronze bearing, I'll fix that, It does fit nicely. I did get to wash everything for the spindle in the parts washer since I took the pics, the bearing and all the parts cleaned up well.
You have done a most outstanding referb job......awesome. One thing..have you decided on what kind of leather belts you plan on using?

Again..fantastic refab work....get a nice 3/4 tooth chuck and you're in....

Rob

woodtickgreg

Active User
You have done a most outstanding referb job......awesome. One thing..have you decided on what kind of leather belts you plan on using?

Again..fantastic refab work....get a nice 3/4 tooth chuck and you're in....

Rob
I Plan to do a serpentine belt conversion, a automotive rib belt wont slip, stretch, or need much maintenance at all and will run quiet too.

Last edited:

snwcmpr

Registered
Nice work. Congrats.
Did you get the part for the oil filler?
Latheman may have some, I got 2 from him, and BlueChipMachine, too.

Ken in NC

woodtickgreg

Active User
Nice work. Congrats.
Did you get the part for the oil filler?
Latheman may have some, I got 2 from him, and BlueChipMachine, too.

Ken in NC
Thanks for the info, no I haven't even looked yet, been very busy this week and haven't had much time to work on the lathe.

N

Nelson

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
They also carry Gits oilers at McMaster. I see them on EBay and Ted used to have them.

Chester

Active User
Registered
If you look on page 2 post no. 45 of this thread you will see what a card looks like, it contains a lot of useful info on it, when it was made and shipped, who it was sold to, components that where used etc. You can order a pdf file copy of a serial card from grizzly, I think it cost $yhttp://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?id=229440&part=1&auth=co&disp=II hope these picture come thru?

woodtickgreg

Active User
I have what looks like the exact same lathe as yours. Didn't even know that it was called a "SB 10 Heavy" as it was given to me. Here's some photos etc: http://www.jcopro.net/2012/11/04/new-to-me-south-bend-lathe/ Mine's probably in close to the same state that you had yours originally, really impressive you took it to the point it is now!
Looked at your pics, pretty cool! You got way more tooling than I did, I got nuthin, you got a chuck, a taper atachment, and it looks like a drill chuck or live center in the tailstock. Oh and your price was way better than mine too! Congratulations on your new old lathe.

JeremySCook

Registered
Thanks! Yeah it was pretty much functional, and yeah the price was right. Only thing I had to do (so far) was swap out the motor for a 120vac model, and replace the belt. I tried a serpentine belt to begin with, but eventually ended up using a link belt - http://www.jcopro.net/2012/11/25/how-to-replace-your-antique-lathe-belt-and-several-ways-not-to/.

I know some guys have gotten the serpentine belt to work, but given the relative price similarity, I've been quite happy with the link belt so far. Now I "just" have to figure out how to get it to reverse, and get the cross-slide so it's not sloppy.

woodtickgreg

Active User
Thanks! Yeah it was pretty much functional, and yeah the price was right. Only thing I had to do (so far) was swap out the motor for a 120vac model, and replace the belt. I tried a serpentine belt to begin with, but eventually ended up using a link belt - http://www.jcopro.net/2012/11/25/how-to-replace-your-antique-lathe-belt-and-several-ways-not-to/.

I know some guys have gotten the serpentine belt to work, but given the relative price similarity, I've been quite happy with the link belt so far. Now I "just" have to figure out how to get it to reverse, and get the cross-slide so it's not sloppy.
Is the slop in the cross slide side to side from the gibs being loose or in the feed screw from a worn or loose screw nut? Just a couple of things to look at.

woodtickgreg

Active User
tailstock-001.jpg tailstock-002.jpg tailstock-003.jpg This is just a little quickie update on the chuck install. It's a big heavy chuck and I definatly don't want it to spin off and land on the bed and damage the ways. What I did was purchase some 1/4" brass rod and cut a couple of little shoes to place under the locking screws. I did this as I did not like the idea of the screws jamming on the threads of the spindle. The brass is soft and the spindle threads will just cut into it as the screws are tightened. As the chuck is a chinese import I used metric socket head cap screws instead of set screws.

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

Active User
tailstock-004.jpg tailstock-005.jpg tailstock-006.jpg tailstock-007.jpg tailstock-008.jpg tailstock-009.jpg Next up was the tail stock, this thing was in really bad shape, rusty, covered in spray paint primer and grunge. I spent alot of time on the parts of this thing, wire wheeling, sanding, buffing, and painting. I replaced all the wicks and the rubber bumper too. It works very smoothly now. I only need the oiler cap and that is coming from south bend.

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

Active User
tailstock-023.jpg tailstock-024.jpg No tail stock wrench you say? Don't want to spend $20 or $30 for one on ebay. I got a wrench from my local el cheapo tool store, whole sale tool, most of their stuff is chinese like the harbour freight also near me. But I found one from India for .60 cents. Drop forged and perfect to cut up! So I marked it where I wanted to cut it so I didn't cut the wrong end off, LOL and ground and sanded the end smooth, voila! Instant tail stock wrench and it's got a nice long handle for leverage, slides in and out real nice too and stays put and won't fall off!

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

Active User
I got a bid in for a 3 jaw chuck, we'll see how that turns out? I have restored the work light, I'll try and get some pics up today after work.

woodtickgreg

Active User
light-001.jpg light-002.jpg light-003.jpg light-004.jpg light-005.jpg Here's some pics of the work light. everything was covered in gray spray paint primer, even the reflector. In the third pic you can see it all stripped down and ready for paint removal, fourth pic shows it painted and the reflector polished up and ready to be reassembled. I purchased a new socket and cord, didn't feel comfortable using a 62 year old cord and socket. When I stripped the paint off the wing nuts I found out they where brass, so I polished them, I think they look cool.
light-001.jpglight-002.jpglight-003.jpglight-004.jpglight-005.jpg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

Active User
light-006.jpg light-007.jpg light-008.jpg A couple more pics of the light assembled and installed on the lathe. You can also see the MT2 live center that I traded for with Jeff in Pa. I don't often see these lathes with the original work light, it's kinda cool. It's almost done, switch is next, make a serpentine belt, and wire up a vfd. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

light-006.jpglight-007.jpglight-008.jpg

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]