Heavy 10 project

DSCF0235.jpg DSCF0236.jpg DSCF0237.jpg DSCF0238.jpg This is what some of the other pieces look like after the same blast treatment, raw metal and not primed yet. You can see some of the porosity of the cast metal, I am not going to fill it, I am refurbing this lathe to be a user, not a museum piece. the primer and paint will fill it good enough. It was good enough 60 years ago! LOL

Last edited:
DSCF0243.jpg DSCF0242.jpg DSCF0244.jpg DSCF0253.jpg DSCF0254.jpg DSCF0255.jpg DSCF0256.jpg Here's a few picks with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint. Paint and primer is rustoleum professional in a rattle can. I have used this paint with good success on other machinery refurbs. Not to glossy and builds well, dries quickly, and in the top left pic you can see how the primer filled the porosity. Looks even better after 2 coats of paint.

Last edited:
DSCF0239.jpg DSCF0240.jpg DSCF0241.jpg DSCF0246.jpg DSCF0247.jpg DSCF0248.jpg DSCF0250.jpg DSCF0251.jpg DSCF0252.jpg I chemicaly stripped the pedestal base for 2 reasons, to damn heavy to move around and transport, and I did not want to get grit from the media blaster in the bearings. The bearings are in great shape! I did have to apply the stripper twice, First application removed most of the paint and the primer that the previous owner sprayed all over the machine. The second coat more or less softened the factory paint and I just scraped it off with a sharp putty knife. As you can see the stripper did not remove the red oxide factory primer, that's just as well as there is really no need to remove it. I then wiped it down with a scotchbrite pad and mineral spirits, that's what you see in the bottom pics. I will sand it with a random orbit sander with 100 grit and maybe 150 before priming and painting, I don't want to sand it to good or it wont match the other pieces. LOL

Last edited:
Looks great so far. I'll definitely be watching this one come together.

Thanks,

-Ron

Here's a few picks with 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint. Paint and primer is rustoleum professional in a rattle can. I have used this paint with good success on other machinery refurbs. Not to glossy and builds well, dries quickly, and in the top left pic you can see how the primer filled the porosity. Looks even better after 2 coats of paint.

That's a machinist's clothesline right there. :D

final-base-painting-001.jpg final-base-painting-002.jpg So I got the chip pan back from the weld shop, I had the holes that the previous owner drilled in it tig welded up. finish ground with a angle die grinder with 50 and 80 grit. wiped it down with denatured alcohol.

Last edited:
final-base-painting-003.jpg final-base-painting-007.jpg final-base-painting-008.jpg final-base-painting-012.jpg Once I had everything wiped down I gave it the same treatment as the other parts, 2 coats primer and 2 coats of paint.

Last edited:
final-base-painting-004.jpg final-base-painting-005.jpg final-base-painting-006.jpg final-base-painting-009.jpg final-base-painting-011.jpg final-base-painting-010.jpg At the same time I sanded the pedestal base with a random orbit sander with 150 grit and wiped it down with alcohol also. Like the other parts 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.

Last edited:
final-base-painting-013.jpg I let all the parts cook in the sun for a couple of hours and then moved them into my garage/kiln, gets really hot in there during the day. as you can see I also dry hardwood lumber in there. I'll let this stuff cure for about a week before I move it into the basement for assembly. Next job is to strip and prep the bed for the same treatment.

Last edited:
Back