Heavy 10 project

your lathe is going to be "really nice" when you get it done
a real labor of love
steve

buffer.-gearbox-prep-005.jpg buffer.-gearbox-prep-006.jpg I also got a new 8" 1hp buffer, so I thought I would buff up the handles a little before I painted them. I could have sanded them for a chrome like finish but as I stated earlier, this will be a user not a show piece. So here's a pic after wire wheeling the paint and rust off. And one buffed with emery compound. I didn't think I needed to go any smoother than they are, they look good to me!

Last edited:
Looking good! My recommendation is to NOT paint the any area that your hands will touch - handles, outside of wheels, etc. I think it just makes for a better looking machine.

Steve

Looking good! My recommendation is to NOT paint the any area that your hands will touch - handles, outside of wheels, etc. I think it just makes for a better looking machine.

Steve
That's my plan! Thanks for the advice though.

covers-n-gears-001.jpg covers-n-gears-002.jpg covers-n-gears-003.jpg covers-n-gears-004.jpg covers-n-gears-005.jpg covers-n-gears-006.jpg So I have been painting the gear box and a couple of other parts, brushing the paint on so as not to get paint in the shaft holes. Brushed on rust oleum takes forever to dry. While I am watching paint dry I thought I would get a couple of the covers and the door on the base. I am waiting to install the large motor and belt access cover untill I can get a couple of knobs for it then it will be tool less access. I do have a new kevlar belt installed and adjusted. Here's a couple of pics, and also the gears look lonely waiting to be re mated with the housing.

Last edited:
finished gearbox 005.JPG finished gearbox 006.JPG finished gearbox 001.JPG finished gearbox 002.JPG I couldn't find any male studded knobs so I mad a couple. I just epoxied some long threaded bolts into the knobs and let them stick through the knobs a little so the threads would get covered in epoxy. I let them cure for 24hrs and then just cut the heads off the bolts with a dremel. Now my belt and motor access cover is tool less! I also installed the lead screw support bearing and the lead screw temporarily.finished gearbox 002.JPGfinished gearbox 001.JPG

Last edited:
finished gearbox 003.JPG finished gearbox 004.JPG finished gearbox 007.JPG finished gearbox 008.JPG finished gearbox 009.JPG I have gone back to work now after my injury with some restrictions and that has kept me busy, so I let the painted parts cure for a week before doing any assembly. I installed the belt tensioner for the under drive and installed the gear, needle bearing, spacer, and shaft in the gear box selector lever to make it ready for the final assembly of the gear box. View attachment 95417

Last edited:
finished gearbox 010.JPG finished gearbox 011.JPG finished gearbox 012.JPG finished gearbox 013.JPG finished gearbox 014.JPG I got the gear box casting ready to install all the gears and shafts. I removed the masking tape and cleaned out all the holes of any paint that might have gotten in them. I also installed all new oiling felts and lubed them with the proper oil.

Last edited:
finished gearbox 015.JPG finished gearbox 016.JPG finished gearbox 017.JPG finished gearbox 018.JPG finished gearbox 019.JPG And this is what the gear box looks like fully assembled and lubed, everything works verey smoothly and turns by hand easy peasy! I also found a guy on ebay that makes some very high quality reproduction plates and they where just what was needed for a finishing touch. What do you think guys? does it look better than what I started with?

Last edited:
looks like brand new really nice work
steve

Back