Heavy 10 project

covers-009.jpg covers-010.jpg covers-011.jpg One more pic of all the covers installed. Then I tore into the tail stock, got some paint stripping to do and some buffing of the shiney parts before I can paint it and get it installed. The oil fill cap for the tail stock is smashed and damaged, gotta try and find one of those, If not I have an idea that will work. Oh and I did find a used correct micrometer carriage stop, should get it next week maybe, it is the long bullet style and a correct piece. now I just have to figure out what the one I have fits and see if I can sell it! At least it's already restored and the buyer can just bolt it on, I wonder if it fits a 9?
covers-009.jpgcovers-010.jpgcovers-011.jpg

Last edited:
Inspirational Greg! Time to get her dirty now and make some chips!
Soon my friend, soon. Gotta get the tail stock done, restore the work light, make a belt install the switch and wire it, purchase and install a vfd, run a 220 line to the vfd, a little work to do yet, but I finally feel very close!

If you look on page 2 post no. 45 of this thread you will see what a card looks like, it contains a lot of useful info on it, when it was made and shipped, who it was sold to, components that where used etc. You can order a pdf file copy of a serial card from grizzly, I think it cost $25.00.

chuck-001.jpg chuck-002.jpg chuck-003.jpg chuck-004.jpg chuck-005.jpg I forgot all about this, a few months back I found a 8" 4 jaw independent chuck, mt3 live center, and a to large tool holder for a good price. I figured I can sell or trade the mt3 live center and get a mt2 live center, sell the tool holder and get a bxa quick change tool holder. I still need to get a 3 jaw scroll chuck, I was looking for a 6" chuck but all these tools where brand new and coated with grease or cosmoline and I couldn't pass them up. The 8" chuck is a little large but I think the mass will be a good thing. I still need to get some brass round stock to make some shoes for the set screws that lock the chuck to the spindle, the brass will protect the threads on the spindle. Name brand on the chuck is unitop, I'm sure it's chinese but it seems decent quality.
chuck-002.jpgchuck-001.jpgchuck-003.jpgchuck-004.jpgchuck-005.jpg

Last edited:
chuck-006.jpg chuck-007.jpg chuck-008.jpg These are the tools I will sell or trade, the live ball bearing center is a mt3, I need an mt2. The tool holder I will just sell outright as I want a bxa quick change tool post. At least I think the bxa would be the right size for a 10" lathe, little beefier cutters?
chuck-006.jpgchuck-007.jpgchuck-008.jpg

I have been working on the tail stock, cleaning, stripping paint, and polishing. Pics when it's done.

Last edited:
Damn, what a nice job! I gotta make you a bigger banner! :man:I marvel at how shiny you got the metal covers.

Where to get a Heavy 10 Thrust Bearing.

Greg, Your SB H10 is VERY nice. I know exactly how much work you have put into it. I did the same thing to mine in 1975, when I was a bit younger! Seeing your photos is like going back in time. After 37 years, mine could do with a bit of polish now, but it has stood up pretty well. The spindle bearings have never needed touching. Except the ball thrust bearing is no longer perfect. Because the balls and/or races are worn, the spindle floats a few tenths of a thous, in an apparently irregular fashion, as it rotates.

Have you, or any other forum members, been able to source a replacement ball thrust bearing? These early H10 lathes have been around quite a while now, and there must be many of them soon to encounter a similar problem, if they haven't already.

Again, well done on your rebuild. Here's a photo of my 1947 Heavy 10, still nice to use after all these years. You will really enjoy yours, especially as you know it inside-out.

Regards, RossG.
radial1951

DSCF8056 LoRes.jpeg

Back