Heavy 10 QCGB Question

Don T

Registered
Registered
Okay I already know it has problems. I want to know what or if I can replace it with another. All the ones I have looked at appear different. I think that mine is shorter that the ones I see because they have 4 mount holes and mine has only 3 (I am posting pics of the difference) Last 2 pics are not mine. But I am wondering if the longer ones will work on mine? It looks like mine has a added piece inside so that the lead screw can be attached. This makes me think I could use the other style QCGB? I thought I would ask here for help. Thanks

Attachments

• CIMG6199.JPG
    CIMG6199.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 29
  • CIMG6190.JPG
    CIMG6190.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 25
  • s-l160011.jpg
    s-l160011.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 24
  • s-l160022.jpg
    s-l160022.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 21
What does the gearbox end of your lead screw look like?

Why does your gearbox have a sprocket on it?'

That gearbox should work on your machine but you might be missing the banjo gears needed to run the gearbox....

Last edited:
Can you check closer? I wonder if a bolt broke off in the fourth hole after seeing the inside of your casting. Does your bed have a fourth?

joe

Can you check closer? I wonder if a bolt broke off in the fourth hole after seeing the inside of your casting. Does your bed have a fourth?

joe
No broken bolt. It is different than the others I have looked at. No 4th hole in the bed ether.

What does the gearbox end of your lead screw look like?

Why does your gearbox have a sprocket on it?'

That gearbox should work on your machine but you might be missing the banjo gears needed to run the gearbox....

I think that the sprocket was an attempt to run the lead screw by the previous owner (He died so I will never know) so it shouldn't be there. Here is a pic of the end of the lead screw, And bed with only 3 holes.

Attachments

• CIMG6202.JPG
    CIMG6202.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
  • CIMG6204.JPG
    CIMG6204.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 19
Okay I already know it has problems. I want to know what or if I can replace it with another. All the ones I have looked at appear different. I think that mine is shorter that the ones I see because they have 4 mount holes and mine has only 3 (I am posting pics of the difference) Last 2 pics are not mine. But I am wondering if the longer ones will work on mine? It looks like mine has a added piece inside so that the lead screw can be attached. This makes me think I could use the other style QCGB? I thought I would ask here for help. Thanks

don't know if it helps but the wide range gearbox with four hole was introduced in late 1952/3 it had extra gears so I don't think your lead screw will fit after you fitted the longer gearbox it would be to long
George

I have a 1938 Heavy 9 that I converted to a heavy 10 the bed only had 3 holes for the small gearbox but I stuck a Double tumbler gearbox on it anyways, works great......

2 screws is more than enough....

Buy that gearbox it will bolt right on, but you will need the banjo gears to make it work....

don't know if it helps but the wide range gearbox with four hole was introduced in late 1952/3 it had extra gears so I don't think your lead screw will fit after you fitted the longer gearbox it would be to long
George

Yes that is the main problem. But if you look at the QCGB that is on mine it had a large spacer added so I am wondering if my lead screw is right? My lathe dates to 1952 by this web page. My serial number is 4512RKT9

What size is that spacer? Most should come with a spacer for adjusting to the idler compounds inboard gear or outboard gear. It is roughly an inch long (memory, here, i can measure if it is needed).

joe

Back