Heavy 10 with D1-3 spindle ???

my 1939 SB 11" lathe has a 4.5 MT taper.

i'm very certain that any of the armed services or laboratories could have ordered a South Bend lathe equipped with a D1-3 spindle.
South Bend would have accommodated any of the above for a fee

i'm very certain that any of the armed services or laboratories could have ordered a South Bend lathe equipped with a D1-3 spindle.
South Bend would have accommodated any of the above for a fee

It's possible, but I doubt that is what happened. If they had, they would have maintained the other dimensions of the spindle, like the bore and the proprietary taper. That way, the other accessories that they sold for that lathe would also fit the non-standard spindle head (like collet closer assemblies and adapters). It would be interesting to see the original lathe card (but not so interesting as to shell out the $25 to get it).

It's possible, but I doubt that is what happened. If they had, they would have maintained the other dimensions of the spindle, like the bore and the proprietary taper. That way, the other accessories that they sold for that lathe would also fit the non-standard spindle head (like collet closer assemblies and adapters). It would be interesting to see the original lathe card (but not so interesting as to shell out the $25 to get it).
So if it not a south bend spindle where did the spindle come from it has got to be off another lathe so what lathes use the same spindle set up
it would not be a one off. i think if it was off another make of lathe someone out there would have found out by now and would have been telling people that a spindle off a so and so lathe will fit a South Bend or a South Bend spindle fits a so and so lathe.
Room for thought ?

What is the diameter of your spindle at the cam locks? A D1-4 is ~ 117mm and a D1-3 is ~ 92mm. They both have three camlock pins.

As far as I can tell, South Bend never offered a D1-3 spindle for their lathes. It was too small for their larger lathes (10" and above) and not even offered for their smaller lathes. It's possible the your spindle was a lathe project for a new machine operator. As for coming off another brand lathe, I don't know enough about other lathes to hazard a guess.

What is the diameter of your spindle at the cam locks? A D1-4 is ~ 117mm and a D1-3 is ~ 92mm. They both have three camlock pins.

As far as I can tell, South Bend never offered a D1-3 spindle for their lathes. It was too small for their larger lathes (10" and above) and not even offered for their smaller lathes. It's possible the your spindle was a lathe project for a new machine operator. As for coming off another brand lathe, I don't know enough about other lathes to hazard a guess.
will look in the morning

(Pictures not quoted)

Boris, please tell me the model of your lathe. the reason I ask is I recently purchased a Taiwan late 1970's or early 80's lathe (Select 816b) that has some similarities in appearance to the parts in the photos you attached, and I have read that it may be similar in appearance to a South Bend. I have no manual for it, and I was hoping to find something similar, clone like. Need to learn more about mine.

Shaq,

My lathe is an Australian made lathe by the company FW HERCUS who made the GS26-075 Southbend lathe for the US market for Southbend lathe works. From the serial # it's a very late issue and Mal from AMH believes it was assembled from inventory parts in Australia. It is badged with Hercus 260. If you want to see some of its details go to this thread HERE. Having said that, the Hercus 260 lathe isn't anything like Taiwanese gear.

I'm not going to post more details as this thread belongs to Internationalgeo and I don't want to distract from the intriguing mystery of the D 1-3 spindle.

thanks for that looks like 4.5 mt or 5mt could do it I have up to 4 mt so I know they dont fit but dont want to buy the 4.5 mt or 5mt to find out they dont fit and then cant send them back I will have to try and borrow them and try

I'd guess 5MT will be too big.

Back