Heavy 10L Motor Upgrade

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After the timing belt upgrade to my Heavy 10L, I discovered that it was quite possible to stall the 1 hp motor. This naturally suggested another upgrade.
I found this 2 hp motor on CL, paid $40.

WP_20181028_11_30_24_Pro.jpg

It is physically larger than the 1 hp, but initial examination tells me it will fit (with modifications of course).
The shaft is 1" dia., the original is 7/8", which means boring and broaching in order to use the original pulley. The motor came with a triple sheave which is about 1/2" smaller than the larger original drive pulley. The seller gave me a 4-step pulley with correct bore and keyway. I it trimmed down to a 2-step, the large step is 1/2" larger than the original (4" vs 3.5"). I'm inclined to use this one. I would like to get a little more speed and I don't think this would be too much for the spindle bearings.

Trying to get all my ducks in a row BEFORE I pull the 1 hp out. I won't have use of the lathe until the I get the new motor in.
Looking for opinions, experiences and suggestions.

Thanks

A 2 horsepower squirrel!
Should work fine if you can make it fit
M

Are you equipped to run a 3-ph. motor? I'd assume so, but thought I'd ask...

I bet that will run great, maybe even help you find what the next weak link is. I mean that lightly... Murphy lives in my garage, and likes to make his showing at times like this.

Are you equipped to run a 3-ph. motor? I'd assume so, but thought I'd ask...

I bet that will run great, maybe even help you find what the next weak link is. I mean that lightly... Murphy lives in my garage, and likes to make his showing at times like this.

Yes, I have a 7.5 hp RPC. I understand the "next weak link" and was already trying to predict it.

Just discovered I have wiring transfer problems (which I should have anticipated).

When the going gets tough, the squirrels get tougher! lol

You don't want to put anything bigger than a 1hp motor on a Heavy 10L......

That document suggests that South Bend considered 3/4 hp to be a minimum (required). The fact that it was not produced with a motor larger than 1hp may have been dictated by costs or the limitations of the the flat belt drive. I'd be interested in any mechanical limitations that might dictate a 1 hp maximum. Surely someone has done this before.

The size of the motor is one way of defining a maximum. The size of the load is another way. In other words, if your work never applies more than 1 hp worth of load, then what does motor size matter? Startup torque won't cause your lathe to twist itself up like a stick of licorice on a 2 hp motor.

I cant find anything that states the maximum motor size for any of south bend's lathes.... Only Atlas tells you the maximum motor HP for the 7b shaper.... I hope you dont wear out your spindle bearings prematurely with that 2HP motor...

Back