Heavy 10L Motor Upgrade

I'm not so concerned about the spindle bearings. Plain bearings can handle heavy loads, excessive speed would be the killer for them. Components such as gears and shear pins in the drive and feed trains might be another matter.

This may all be moot, the wiring compatibility issues may bring this to a halt unless I want to replace the drum switch and wiring.

Do you have the newer style Heavy 10L with the bronze spindle bearings or the older style with the cast iron spindle bearings?

I wouldn’t hesitate putting one on my 10L just be careful not to crash it, maybe Leave the belt a little looser.

You don't want to put anything bigger than a 1hp motor on a Heavy 10L......

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/17770.pdf
View attachment 278761

I don't see a date code on this; it does show postal zone rather than zip code and the lathe has small dials on the compound and crossfeed. My 1966 SB catalogue shows them offering a choice of 1 H.P. motors in various voltages (or a two speed 1/2-1 H.P.) for the Heavy 10. A mid 1990's South Bend leaflet on the Heavy 10 also shows a choice of single or three phase 1 H.P. motors (or the two speed 1/2-1 H.P. motor).

David

I don't see a date code on this; it does show postal zone rather than zip code and the lathe has small dials on the compound and crossfeed. My 1966 SB catalogue shows them offering a choice of 1 H.P. motors in various voltages (or a two speed 1/2-1 H.P.) for the Heavy 10. A mid 1990's South Bend leaflet on the Heavy 10 also shows a choice of single or three phase 1 H.P. motors (or the two speed 1/2-1 H.P. motor).

David
it says 1951 copyright at the very bottom.....

Thank you, I see that now. I wonder what led South Bend to up the recommended horsepower.

David

There stout enough, and horse power isn’t what it used to be

Back