Heavy duty tool chest for lathe stand?

I'm 'always' on the lookout for steel desks; on intermittent basis if that makes any sense. The typical ad's make a point concerning ponderous weight and you'll need 2-3 he-men to load and cart away. Sh*t. Guys I know are wimpy cubicle monkeys, not worth bothering for assistance.
Well I'm old and have been for a long time. Can get one of these on my tilt trailer alone. Jack one end for two furniture flat dollys, block the casters.
Jack other end for 1, [that is ONE!] dolly and push it to trailer. I use a 2-speed boat winch hooked to strap under top in the footwell. Crank crank squeak squeak, over a oak threshold for the angle-iron of trailer bed and here she is.
If things like this are inside a house, or near easily damaged property getting it accessible is the OWNERS job, not the buyer.

Standing them up is logical; somehow getting them back down is tough for me.

The old Atlas lathe that I had I came with a custom bench made from three US general side cabinets, set on a welded angle iron frame with industrial casters, and then a butcher block top put on top and bolted on with some oddball clamps. The whole thing was actually quite nice; I really regretted getting rid of it when I sold the lathe, but the new lathe has integrated cast iron pedestals.

The best thing about the three cabinet setup was that you could store things close to where they actually were used on the machine. The left cabinet could take all of your headstock accessories, such as chuck keys, jaws, dead centers, lathe dogs, and drive plates. The center cabinet could take all of the items used with the tool post and saddle, such as insert tooling and inserts. Finally, the right hand cabinet could take all the tailstock accessories such as live and dead centers, center drills, and drill chucks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back