Heavy duty tool chest for lathe stand?

Get yourself an old metal desk.
Good point. I have used several LSD's (Large Steel Desks), for many workbenches over the years. My Rung Fu, currently sits on an LSD, that I took the top and the middle drawer off, and then bolted the two drawer sections together. Cut the top down, and bolted it back together. So now, it is about 3' by 3' or so. You can't beat them for strength, and price.

Love the old metal desk if that works for you. There’s at least some storage and you can pretty much get them cheap or free anywhere in the US.

It wouldn’t really work for me with my current lathe though since I am 6’3”, the counter my lathe is on is just the right height.

But, I do have a fetish for industrial type furniture. My basement workbench is a lovely old Steelcase work table from General Motors.

I didn't know those tanker desks came apart so easy. Might be a good item to look out for for low price. Stack them maybe to make tool boxes. They even have a pull out shelf on top of each set of drawers. Built extremely heavy and solid so good for machine bases too.

The weak point in the tanker desks, or at least in those made like the one in the first photo, are the legs. I would judge the part sitting on the legs as probably OK but not the legs. They would need to be replaced by something like a box frame made of steel angle, or rather by two of them.

The weak point in the tanker desks, or at least in those made like the one in the first photo, are the legs. I would judge the part sitting on the legs as probably OK but not the legs. They would need to be replaced by something like a box frame made of steel angle, or rather by two of them.

It may look like the legs are weak but with experience the whole thing is extremely stable and unmoveable. You wouldn’t think twice about hopping up on top to change a lightbulb. For holding up a machine it would be best to try it as it is, maybe bolster if found weak. Built to last forever but just out of style over the years.

Fun fact: One of those Steelcase desks was used for the Japanese to sign surrender on that battleship to end WWII.

Lots of them here in West Michigan where they were made..

Yes, HF. I'm not a fan, but do find it interesting, that HF's quality has been going up, while most other makers are going down. Wonder if they will high five each other as they pass?
HF's stock has been changing too. Most of their machine tools and sheetmetal tools are going away and are available under different names like Kaka (what were they thinking?) and for much higher prices. Sometimes double in the case of the 3in1 shear/brake/roller.

Early on I bought my Waterloo toolbox at HF in the early 80's before they started carrying their own brand. Even the SnapOn man couldn't make fun of my Waterloo because they weighed the same and were rated the same for 1/5 the price.

Those tanker desks are all over CL here, some free. Also see a lot of Craftsman tool bench with HD drawers and storage cab. Picked one up for $100 in good shape and has been perfect for my 9x20. But probably not for much bigger lathe and I'm short so it's the right height for me.

HF's stock has been changing too. Most their machine tools and sheetmetal tools going away, available under different names like Kaka (what were they thinking?) and for much higher prices.
KaKa. Lol. Well 'K' isn't 'C'; or cuz El Torito Poopoo hadn't been thought of.
Not first time a name was not right for a certain market. Apparently the Chevy 'Nova' didn't cut it in Hispanic regions....means 'won't run'.
Lol. I know a couple electric blue 66 and 67's that sure do. 9.80's qualify as running, right?
And probably IMNSHO, the single most beautiful silhouette a compact car ever had, no?
Admittedly, I have a KaKa #70 bender. Tool itself is stout and bends unexpectedly well. No wonder, it's a revamp of the PEXTO.
Once I remedied the wimpy swing and material stops, that baby bends!

Back