[4]

Heavy taper, help with velocity stack how to.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

GunsOfNavarone

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
One of the reasons I bought this lathe, and the tooling, expensive block of aluminum and well, let's just say I spent $2500 so far to make a $50 set of velocity stacks. Its about the adventure! Anyway, the picture attached is ballpark what i want to do. How do you pull off that taper? Would tailstock offset be able to do that over such a short distance? These are about 2.5" long. ..and this part may be more challenging, but I would LIKE to have a "fin" around the inside leading around and funneling down to small end (to aid in causing a vortex sort of wind pattern.)
Thanks for the input!

Attachments

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I think for those you will have to use the compound and hand feed it. The tailstock offset would not do it.

pacifica

RGL
As long as your taper doesn't exceed the travel of your lathe compound, I would use the compound.
For extreme accuracy of the taper(minute of angle tolerance)use a sine bar setup w. compound.

GunsOfNavarone

I wouldn't even know where/how a sine bar would be used on a lathe, being that the cutting tool is somewhat static in the tool post.I
Hand feeding it once would be very difficult, but being th at it would take MANY passes, seems impossible. People do this? No? Is it CNC LATHE possible only?

off center

Registered
Very easy to do with a compound. . PM me after six o'clock. And I will walk you through it.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Stacks like those are usually spun from straight tubing, and then fitted to a connector piece.

RJSakowski

I wouldn't even know where/how a sine bar would be used on a lathe, being that the cutting tool is somewhat static in the tool post.I
Hand feeding it once would be very difficult, but being th at it would take MANY passes, seems impossible. People do this? No? Is it CNC LATHE possible only?
Tom Lipton, Ox Tools, did a nice You Tube video on setting up a compound to cut a taper using a sine bar.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Yes, people do this :) Very easy, and yes many passes. No CNC required. Even possible to make tapers longer that the travel of the compound.

Tony Wells

Registered
Registered
You don't have to do the whole thing with the compound. Plot out your -X- and -Z- cords and rough it out in steps, leaving just enough to finish with a minimum number of compound passes. Do it in two ops. Rough them all, then setup your compound. If your compound has a dial retention nut, consider a speed-handle or something to lessen the difficulty and tedium of plain hand cranking.

jdedmon91

Registered
It is you just have to plan it out. CNC spoils a lot of people because of the capabilities of them. The way I’d do it is to rough out the parts by turning off the majority of the material then cutting the tapers last. Still with a large block of aluminum this will take a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunsOfNavarone

Very easy to do with a compound. . PM me after six o'clock. And I will walk you through it.
That's what I needed to hear! Thank you! I'll read the rest of this thread soon, thanks for all the replies everyone!

GunsOfNavarone

Making a tool to shape the tubing and some MAP has sounds like the easy way...I'm gonna give that a shot! I'll be back if it doesn't work! These are gonna be $3000 stacks by then, it BETTER work!

westsailpat

macardoso

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
It is you just have to plan it out. CNC spoils a lot of people because of the capabilities of them. The way I’d do it is to rough out the parts by turning off the majority of the material then cutting the tapers last. Still with a large block of aluminum this will take a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It doesn't "spoil" anyone it just removes all of the drudgery that doing such a job manually would entail, one would still have to know how to run a lathe job, it is not quite as simple as saying "Alexa make this part for me" (-:

GunsOfNavarone

GunsOfNavarone

It doesn't "spoil" anyone it just removes all of the drudgery that doing such a job manually would entail, one would still have to know how to run a lathe job, it is not quite as simple as saying "Alexa make this part for me" (-:
i agree with both of you....you could scan the Mona Lisa into a computer then print it...at the end of the day, you have a picture of the Mona Lisa, however, if know how to paint it from scratch, that is invaluable. If like to have the skills to be able to do.it by hand, but I don't expect to put 20 years of leaning and hands on in a few months.

hman

Active User
Basic kit is $250. Accessories like the large radius shoe are not yet available or priced.

They mention Village Press as being their USA distributor ... but VP doesn't have this item (or the Acute Tool Sharpening System) on their site. Bummer! You'd have to go to their UK distributor.

Firstram

Registered

GunsOfNavarone

That's cool, better buy one now before all of the lawsuits put the company out of business.
yeah man, I thought that was just my lack of experience with a metal lathe. a wood lathe, that's pretty normal, metal seems to throw some spice to the whole equation!

Cadillac

Registered
The process isn’t hard. You are not trying to duplicate a specific angle right. I recently did some exhaust ends for a buddy of mine. I cast blanks out of aluminum then turned to my likings. Here’s two that I did first is similar to what you want. 5181A02A-939C-492C-BCD7-8A0C7555BABF.jpeg E50374A2-8296-4F2D-9589-8C7A2B3862F0.jpeg 1A193053-3B5B-4E6D-9BC3-B2F5113402E5.jpeg D36A0EDF-B2ED-490B-ABEE-24DB3B0F9639.jpeg A906F7DC-0090-4971-89BD-EC2D5F7E4DD3.jpeg

GunsOfNavarone

Nope. No specific angle needed. Your 2nd picture is about there, just shy of the roller lip, which is particularly challenging. I think I'm going to try the map gas with the template technique. Seems pretty easy....sure it won't be!

[6]
[5] [7]