Hedwick MV-100 Mill Help!

shelby grinders

Registered
Registered
Just picked this up off Craigslist. Extremely interesting machine. For some reason, I couldn’t walk away from it...so it’s here! This isn’t my shop it’s an extra garage out front because I’m waiting on the ground to freeze to carry it around back to my shop. (Lots of mud here in Northern Ohio this year). Anywho, trying to figure out the wiring situation with it. It’s currently on a 1.5hp Baldor 3 phase motor. I’d like to be able to run it at 20amps if possible but I do have 220v. Attaching some photos on what’s on it currently and would love to hear any suggestions on what to do. I do have experience with VFD's, but this one already is variable speed by that little wheel above the number 57 beside the dovetails. My concern is, if I chose to convert via VFD, how would it impact the variable drive that's already on it? Hopefully from the wiring photos someone will be able to lead me in the right direction. If you need more pictures or information, I can get that for you as well. I'm really excited to get this thing back to my shop.

The other issue with it is the power feed isn't working, seems to be missing a couple parts and on the left side there's another handle (which I'm assuming is the brake for a collet or something, but it doesn't engage (not sure if i have to have a collet inside there for it to engage or not but they are on order). Overall, the mill works fantastic, I got to test it out before I bought it. It has high/low gearing using that knob on the top right sticking out there and a huge RPM range. The table is very smooth, not much slop maybe 12 thousands and 18 thousands on the handles.
F91D37E1-3C3E-45C0-9E12-E6161811D574.jpeg
0DDA46F9-446E-4A22-9C4B-8A14A2A82A41.jpeg
C2C755AA-B588-4B4C-A4C9-ACD8E5AAAAAF.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I also have an MV100 mill. I can't help with the wiring because mine is a 3/4 hp single phase 220 volt motor.

There is no brake on the spindle. Just put it in low gear and there is enough inertia you can loosen and tighten collets.

The photos do not tell one anything about the current variable speed, but I am assuming it is a mechanical Reeve's type of system. I would run it off of an RPC, if you want to keep the current controls and speed control. If you go with a VFD then you need to directly wire it to the motor, I would do 3 wire control so stop/start and a forward reverse switch. You would use both the mechanical and the VFD speed control or fix the VFD at 60 Hz and just use the mechanical speed control on the machine. I have some designs for the WJ200 that are fairly simple, about $300 in parts with an enclosure and a tach (may not need a digital readout if the analogue works).. You cannot use a VFD as a plug and play option like an RPC.

The power feed you will need to determine whats missing and the type, often they are DC. I have used 3 phase AC gear motors with a VFD for drives, but a DC drive will give you very good low speed torque.

I also have an MV100 mill. I can't help with the wiring because mine is a 3/4 hp single phase 220 volt motor.

There is no brake on the spindle. Just put it in low gear and there is enough inertia you can loosen and tighten collets.
Wow this is great. Are the collets the same as a Bridgeport by chance? Will the R8 twist right in there? Also, does your tachometer work?

The photos do not tell one anything about the current variable speed, but I am assuming it is a mechanical Reeve's type of system. I would run it off of an RPC, if you want to keep the current controls and speed control. If you go with a VFD then you need to directly wire it to the motor, I would do 3 wire control so stop/start and a forward reverse switch. You would use both the mechanical and the VFD speed control or fix the VFD at 60 Hz and just use the mechanical speed control on the machine. I have some designs for the WJ200 that are fairly simple, about $300 in parts with an enclosure and a tach (may not need a digital readout if the analogue works).. You cannot use a VFD as a plug and play option like an RPC.

The power feed you will need to determine whats missing and the type, often they are DC. I have used 3 phase AC gear motors with a VFD for drives, but a DC drive will give you very good low speed torque.
Please excuse my ignorance, but can you elaborate on this RPC? I’m not familiar with that term at all. The variable speed is increased and decreased by that wheel on the dovetails. Also, it currently has forward/reverse. I believe it’s currently wired for 360 since it has 3 power wires in the controller but I could be wrong.

RPC is a rotary phase converter. There are also static phase converters, both will provide three phase power (more or less).

To use a VFD with your machine you’ll have to modify the control wiring since they don’t work correctly with switches or contactors between them and the motor.

Phase converters let you just plug what you have in without changing the internal wiring.

Welcome to the forum :encourage:

John

RPC is a rotary phase converter. There are also static phase converters, both will provide three phase power (more or less).

To use a VFD with your machine you’ll have to modify the control wiring since they don’t work correctly with switches or contactors between them and the motor.

Phase converters let you just plug what you have in without changing the internal wiring.

Welcome to the forum :encourage:

John
Thank you kindly! Which would you recommend?

Thank you kindly! Which would you recommend?

I don’t have any experience with either, only the VFD so I can’t really make a recommendation either way. There’s lots of good threads on here though, figure out how much power you need and go up from there.
John

If you go the rotary phase converter route, be sure to by a big enough one to run multiple machines. You would need to figure out what type of machine you would like to get in the future. How many amps each would draw and buy accordingly. I run a 15hp and a 10hp.
VFD may be more affordable for one machine.
Cheers
Martin

If you go the rotary phase converter route, be sure to by a big enough one to run multiple machines. You would need to figure out what type of machine you would like to get in the future. How many amps each would draw and buy accordingly. I run a 15hp and a 10hp.
VFD may be more affordable for one machine.
Cheers
Martin
Thanks Martin!

Back