HEEEEELP

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Applying for a "Patent". Has anyone here done this. I just tried to find what I need on the Patent Office Site. It is a NIGHTMARE. What is involved here?

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Applying for a "Patent". Has anyone here done this. The new project ( Catfish Rod Holder) seem to be shaping up into something I would like to have all rights to. I just tried to find what I need on the Patent Office Site. It is a NIGHTMARE. What is involved here?

"Billy G"

I was going to apply for one some years ago and it was such a nightmare , I quit and gave up. I had a friend who had several patents , but I never new how he did it. I think he had help. There are some services that help with patents but I was always afraid they would cheat me somehow and I would lose somewhere along the line ( cause you know they don't work for free). I don't envy anyone trying to do it themselves. I think you need a lawyers help and that is when you start dishing out cash. I know my friend had to put out to get his and later he sold a couple of them. I know that not much help, but good luck.

Mark frazier

Bill, its not easy and not cheap to get a patent. I have one but luckily my company paid for everything.

If you really want to go down that road, check out one of the patent services, they know what to do and would most likely be your cheapest route. I would guestimate that you could be in the $10,000 range to get the application and final patent done. If you do everything yourself then you will be paying $900 to file the application.

Bill, it may be too late. I have a few patents that the company paid for and were always told to never disclose it outside the company until the patent application had been filed.

David

I didn't think of that David. I edited part of my first post. 10K is a lot of money.

"Billy G"

Been there, done that. Bill, it pains me terribly to rain on your parade, but this is something not to be pursued lightly and uninformed. Seriously, a money-pit black hole. It's claimed that the majority of individual/inventor patents are 'vanity' patents, showing that the value of the patent is more in the bragging rights than in the productization, the new reality. From what I've researched, many monitarily successful patents are designed to be bought, like the way the automakers gobble-up auto gadget patents. Not necessarily to implement, but to pidgeonhole the things to protect their industry. There is a lot of "slap in the face" reality info out there.

http://www.dontfileapatent.com/

I too have had several, but they were done through my work so can't help with trying to get one by yourself. I've heard horror stories though (like those above).

I have a friend that is a corporate lawyer. I will see him this week. Maybe there are other options? Thank you for the replies.

"Billy G"

Apply for a "provisional patent". It is simple, inexpensive, and gives you protection for a year, by the end of which you must have applied for a utility patent. During that year you can sell your patent to a company that will get the utility patent or raise money to pay a patent attorney to handle it for you.

[Edit] The USPTO calls it a "provisional application".

Last edited:
Back