• June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Heelllooooo out there

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mfim

Active User
Hi all, I own a 15 x 54 Leblond Regal. Factory re-built. Accurite as many grinders. Also, for 10 years, I worked for the machine tool rebuilder that owns the only franchise as Leblond Factory Service,. I worked in the shop and in the field. My son still works at this facility. I would be glad to jaw with you about these great old American made machines.

ZachB

Swarf
Registered Member
Hiya, I just brought home a Leblond Regal 13x42" circa 1946 (one of the "lighter" trainer models) in the process of cleaning it up, not doing a total restoration yet as I want to get it up and running and start learning to use the machine. I got pretty lucky the gears in the head and QC box look brand new, infact I don't the lathe has ever turned any threads as the screw looks like it has no wear on it at all. Can't wait to see what this machine can do!

Lane Puckett

Swarf
Registered Member
mfim congrats on the new/old Leblond. I'm looking for one currently and am trying to do my research now. I have an Emco V10P and want to upgrade to a Leblond in the 10 to 15 inch range. So I'm gathering anything I can read about them. I'm in Calif as well.

Zach Thank you for posting up. I may be picking your brain a bit on what to look for and look out for.

none of my hobby stuff I do requires a big lathe and a 15x30 is about as big as I'm looking.

Thank you,
Lane

mfim

Active User
mfim congrats on the new/old Leblond. I'm looking for one currently and am trying to do my research now. I have an Emco V10P and want to upgrade to a Leblond in the 10 to 15 inch range. So I'm gathering anything I can read about them. I'm in Calif as well.

Zach Thank you for posting up. I may be picking your brain a bit on what to look for and look out for.

none of my hobby stuff I do requires a big lathe and a 15x30 is about as big as I'm looking.

Thank you,
Lane
Never saw a hearse with a luggage rack.
Try to get into the 1960's ( square headstock Regals) They come in manual and "Servo-shift for
spindle speeds. Stick with manual if possible. About 75% of the Servo-shifts were not properly maintained over the years. Average Joe cannot rebuild the unit properly. Easy to get 500 to 1200 in parts and same in labor. But if you can run it b4 buying, and it shifts in all gears ok. Change the oil and filter and make chips. Parts AND service and manuals and SOME free advice on repair and maintence is available by dialing 1-888-LEBLOND, then listen and follow the prompts. Don:biggrin:

Last edited:

mfim

Active User
Hiya, I just brought home a Leblond Regal 13x42" circa 1946 (one of the "lighter" trainer models) in the process of cleaning it up, not doing a total restoration yet as I want to get it up and running and start learning to use the machine. I got pretty lucky the gears in the head and QC box look brand new, infact I don't the lathe has ever turned any threads as the screw looks like it has no wear on it at all. Can't wait to see what this machine can do!
Look on the bed, tail end, operator side, top. Should be a letter followed by serial #. Have this ready and call the number ( on above post ) prompt for lathe [ parts ]. for free they will tell you year built, who purchased it, if parts were ordered thru the years, ( by whom ) The manuals are very detailed on maintence and parts and drawings of ALL components. Also very detailed on operation. Worth the $.
Have fun. Don:biggrin:

Old Iron

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I just picked up a 13" LaBlond Regal about 3 weeks ago, It set in a open building for awhile and had some surface rust. I've been cleaning it up in my spare time and the rust is coming of prety easy.

I've changes the oil in it puilled the cross slide compound and taper attachment cleaned painted them and put them back.

I have run it some and it seems pretty smooth. picture of it is just getting it in place.

Paul

Inplace.JPG

ZachB

Swarf
Registered Member
Look on the bed, tail end, operator side, top. Should be a letter followed by serial #. Have this ready and call the number ( on above post ) prompt for lathe [ parts ]. for free they will tell you year built, who purchased it, if parts were ordered thru the years, ( by whom ) The manuals are very detailed on maintence and parts and drawings of ALL components. Also very detailed on operation. Worth the $.
Have fun. Don:biggrin:
Thanks Don, I actually email Leblond with my serial number as soon as I got it home here is info they had for me:
[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Serial Number: B9450[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]13”X42” LeBlond Regal[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]440V/3PH/60CY[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Shipped to a customer in San Francisco, CA.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ship Date” January 30, 1946[/FONT]

I also got the manual "Running A Regal" on its way from an online vendor for $10, looking forward to reading it.

-Zach

mfim

Active User
Thanks Don, I actually email Leblond with my serial number as soon as I got it home here is info they had for me:
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Serial Number: B9450[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]13”X42” LeBlond Regal[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]440V/3PH/60CY[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Shipped to a customer in San Francisco, CA.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ship Date” January 30, 1946[/FONT]

I also got the manual "Running A Regal" on its way from an online vendor for $10, looking forward to reading it.

-Zach
I love this old American made Iron. Leblond splidle bearings are cup and cone type Timken class 3 Precision. Easily adjustable. All shafts in the head are supported on both ends by cup and cone brgs. or ball brgs. That is my REGAL behind me in my profile pic. Holding 2 rifles I built.

David

Active User
I a'm getting information on a leblond 13x42 for sale. Once I find out details I will post and hopefully someone can give me an idea on value of this machine

David

Old Iron

Active User
I need to find the taper attachment bed clamp for a 13" Reagal, or get a drawing to build one.

Paul

mfim

Active User
I a'm getting information on a leblond 13x42 for sale. Once I find out details I will post and hopefully someone can give me an idea on value of this machine

David
Is it a "square" head Regal?

ZachB

Swarf
Registered Member
I need to find the taper attachment bed clamp for a 13" Reagal, or get a drawing to build one.

Paul
15" LeBlond Lathe Taper Attachment Bed Clamp.jpg

I am pretty certain that these dimension will be the same for a 13" regal. Hope that helps!

15" LeBlond Lathe Taper Attachment Bed Clamp.jpg

David

Active User
It is a square regal with manual shift. It looks to be in good condition. One owner in an old tool & die shop. Been sitting for several years. Still don't have price. Any ideas on a reasonable price. I may go today and look. It's good to have a Leblond guy here. Thanks for your help Don.

David

David

Active User
Don,

Help me, help me please! I looked at the machine and it is real clean. I think it is a 13x60, bed is 60" anyway. It has center & follow rests, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, various other tooling. No quick change tool post though. It has a sn 2B9xx. No repaint with one owner who bought new. This is a tight machine!

Any idea on market price for this machine.

Thanks
David

xalky

Global Moderator
Don,

Help me, help me please! I looked at the machine and it is real clean. I think it is a 13x60, bed is 60" anyway. It has center & follow rests, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, various other tooling. No quick change tool post though. It has a sn 2B9xx. No repaint with one owner who bought new. This is a tight machine!

Any idea on market price for this machine.

Thanks
David
What year is it, Approx.?

David

Active User
I am not sure. I was told a 1972. I will not be able to check sn until Monday.

David

Active User
Anybody have any thoughts on market value of this machine. Looking at some pictures, it looks to be early 60's.

Thanks

David

ZachB

Swarf
Registered Member
Anybody have any thoughts on market value of this machine. Looking at some pictures, it looks to be early 60's.

Thanks

David
I may have missed it but where are you located? That can have quite an impact on value, in CA that lathe is likely worth a lot more than in the rust belt for instance where old iron falls from the sky ;) Also check out ebay auctions and see what prices things are selling for, that can help with value. Also you should factor in how far you have to travel/move the lathe, and how hard the lathe will be to get out of its current location, I would be willing to pay more or the same lathe 10 miles from my house that the owner could load with his forklift than one I need to drive 100 miles and pull out of a an old basement for instance, value is in the details and without pics it will be really be hard to give an accurate value, especially when the owner says it is dated from 1972 and you are saying it looks like its more 1960 vintage, basically we don't know much about the lathe at all. Just trying to help you get a value please don't interpret this as me being a jerk, best of luck getting your machine!

David

Active User
Hi Zach

Thanks for your input. This shop was sold to person who will be keeping some equipment and selling the rest. Original owner fell ill, thus not all correct info is being passed on. No problems with that. Not that I would resale, just want to make sure not overpaying. Load out, distance, I understand. Asking price is 5k, I think it is too high, but that's me!

David

Active User
That would be east Texas. Did not notice it had been removed.

Old Iron

Active User
View attachment 37922

I am pretty certain that these dimension will be the same for a 13" regal. Hope that helps!

Zack
Thanks for taking the time to post that, I had gotten a drawing from the Yahoo Group and it nis off a few muserments. But if I end up making one I"ll mod thhose 2.

Paul

mfim

Active User

Thanks

David
Hi David Sorry I have been absent for a few days. Don,t get as concerned about the exact year machine was built, but more concerned with condition. Also missing parts can be very expensive depending on what they are.If you can put power to it and run it, That alone could add 25% to the price in my past experience. A big plus in my book!!! In Michigan, a loose, well used, run hard, put away wet, approx $1,800. Good as you desccribe with attachments & tooling, approx $5,000. The one I am standing in front of is a 1965. Don

David

Active User
Hi Don, thanks for response. I have been busy also. I have backed off for now. Will make another offer in couple of weeks if still for sale.

Thanks
David

S

Snowbum

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hi all, I own a 15 x 54 Leblond Regal. Factory re-built. Accurite as many grinders. Also, for 10 years, I worked for the machine tool rebuilder that owns the only franchise as Leblond Factory Service,. I worked in the shop and in the field. My son still works at this facility. I would be glad to jaw with you about these great old American made machines.
Just an introduction....
I first had my hands on a LeBlond Regal when I was in Junior High School shop class. I'm nearly 75 now, and so that was a long long time ago. A few years ago I picked up a rather pristine LeBlond Regal 12", just exactly like the one I used so long ago. It is serial B2323....which puts its birth in early 1937. It came with a huge amount of tooling, and was in amazingly good condition, with only a stuck chuck to deal with...a PIA...no common method would remove it (heat, dry ice, massive force, penetrants, etc.) so I machined off the chuck backing plate and made a new one. Three-jaw chuck runout is under 0.00075, ways are very good. Taper attachment, toolpost grinder attachment, 8 and 10" three and four jaw chucks....and boxes more of stuff, some of which I haven't the foggiest idea of how to use, or what it is for.
I've had do to little else to the lathe besides the chuck mounting plate, besides cleanup, some adjusting, and little things like making new wipers. The hand wheel and tube were missing. LeBlondRegal.jpg

The only thing I don't have that would be nice is a mill. I have most every other type of needed machine.
Rob

LeBlondRegal.jpg

S

Snowbum

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Just an introduction....

I failed to mention ...too quick on the ENTER button....that I am a Member of the LeBlond Lathe Group on Yahoo Groups.
Lots of information on that group, in the files, etc.
Rob

[6]
[5] [7]