Height gage help

It is only meant to measure down to 1.000", note that the scale ends there. There are offset attachments that let it go down the other inch, though then you need to remember to subtract an inch. You can also use a 1-2-3 block or a gage block to take up the difference. I think you also have other problems with the setup as well. It should go down to 1.000", not 1.040". The sliding portion may not be correct for your stand (Frankengage.)

Bob, I thought of that but there's another twist to the story. I bought a package of tools that came with 2 identical height gages. They are both the same way, so I think it is unlikely they are both "frankengages".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they came from the same place they may both be frakengages, and in another package was the other shafts that these heads fit, and the heads that fit your shafts. Any should be able to be adjusted to Zero out on the number, Since this starts at 1 then it should zero out there, In fact the adjustment should let it go down just a bit more as it should allow you to adjust for wear on the bottom. Just from my observations.

Here is a scan of what I think is your gage from a vintage BS catalogue.
Not surprisingly it suggests that Bob Korves is correct.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• BS Height Gage.pdf
    947.5 KB · Views: 115
The scriber should mount at the top of the bar, not the bottom. That is the reference surface. Put it on the top and measure something, and see what it reads. If the scriber is at the bottom, it's height influences the measurement.

The scriber should mount at the top of the bar, not the bottom. That is the reference surface. Put it on the top and measure something, and see what it reads. If the scriber is at the bottom, it's height influences the measurement.

Just like in the pic from the BS catalog.

Daryl
MN

With scriber mounted on top, whatever I measure that is at least 1.040" is accurately indicated in the vernier. That and the photos from the B&S catalog make me believe that is the proper orientation.

Do the screws holding the vernier loosen and allow you to adjust the vernier slide to 1.000?

Daryl
MN

All I can say then is to grind .040" off of the bottom of the slide, or accept it the way it is.

Just a wild guess, but:
What happens when you switch the slides between both gages?
They might have been switched in the past?

Peter

Peter, I thought of that and switched slides with the same results. Believe me I spent a lot of time and experimenting before I posted here. I never used a height gage before, the concept looks easy and straight forward but after a while I doubted myself and thought I was approaching this wrong. I could live with the 1" offset, but the .040" is ridiculous and will have to get ground off like Bob suggested.

Back