height gage recommendations

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to get a height gage. I was looking at this one. Thoughts?

$129 at a local supply shop

I'm not building the space shuttle, I just need something to use with a surface plate. I'm not good enough yet to make anything to anything other than a 0.005" tolerance (I could maybe get to 0.003"). Thought I'd ask about this brand since Mitutoyu and Starrett are out of the spousal-approved price range.

There is a brand called Procheck that is also available for $116. Any thoughts on that?

Should work fine, Jeff. It has a carbide scribe, which is good, and that can be swapped out for an indicator holder to perform the two key functions of a height gauge - marking out and measuring stuff with a dial test indicator for flatness relative to a surface plate. It has the fine adjust features that are normally seen only on vernier gauges and that is a very good thing; it will allow you to make minute changes with precision and ease. My vote is good enough!

Personally I'd look for a used one on eBay. There are currently over 1,100 available. Name brands like Starrett, Brown& Sharpe, and Mitutoyo are going for far less than what you are currently looking at. I purchased a used 24" Brown & Sharp a few years ago for less than $50.00.

I agree with projectnut, I'd look for quality used on ebay if you're not in a rush & patient for the right one to pop up. Fowler doesn't actually make tools, not these days anyway. That height gauge is most likely made in China or India. Nothing wrong with that & it should work fine but you can find the same quality for cheaper if buying new without the Fowler name on it.

I got my 12" Mitutoyo for $75 shipped on ebay & in the original wood box. It was practically brand new, the scribe still had the wax covering on it.

If I could only have one, 12" dial is a good choice but I found my 12" cumbersome to use all the time, plus I don't have a huge surface plate. Eventually I bought a 6" digital by M-DRO. I bought it new during an ebay flash sale so I ended up paying the same price as I did for the Mitu and it's an import. Yes it's a battery eater but I use this one most of the time, mainly for scribing layout lines. I love my Mitu vernier but with this one being digital & so much smaller it's very quick to use. The Mitu always gets put back into the case after use. The 6" digital just sits on the work bench.

20190402_124327.jpg20190402_124543.jpg

Yup, my little 6" Starrett analog height gauge is my most used one, too. My 12" Mit is out on loan and has been for almost a year - I need to go get it back - but I honestly don't miss it. I use a big Starrett surface gauge for indicator work and it works well for that.

I don't use my height gage that much, so I prefer a vernier scale on it, never gums up, no batteries to die, no electronics to die. I bought a nice, old, slightly used Starrett 12" height gage off eBay in the original box, with accessories, in like new condition for 30 some dollars, delivered. I will take it over an import dial or electronic height gage anytime.

I have a very nice Brown & Sharp listed under the measuring tools.

Yup, my little 6" Starrett analog height gauge is my most used one, too. My 12" Mit is out on loan and has been for almost a year - I need to go get it back - but I honestly don't miss it. I use a big Starrett surface gauge for indicator work and it works well for that.

I miss my 10" Mitu vernier. I thought I did good cause I bought the 12" Mitu for $75 then sold the 10" Mitu for $75. Plus the 10" Mitu I had was a "left hand" model. I'm not sure if height gauges are actually marketed that way & it really doesn't matter but at the time I thought it was awkward.

I quickly realized how much I missed the little 10" after using the 12". It was only 2" difference in capacity but it was so much smaller/shorter than my 12" cause the 12" has an adjustable scale. Tried to find another one for a good price but couldn't, not for as low as what I paid for it. Been very happy using 6" digital but only cause I know I have the 12" Mitu when needed.

Img_3228.jpg

Img_3209.jpg

Img_3219.jpg

I have been using the same 12" Starrett height gage that I bought back in the 1960s, and it is as good as the day I got it; if looking to buy an vernier height gage, make sure to buy one with the 50 division vernier, not one with 25 division, which is hard to read, even with a strong magnifier, the 50 division, I can still read with only reading glasses; when I was younger, I could read it with naked eye, not at 74 years, magnification is necessary!

I was thinking of getting a dial (not vernier) gage. Easier to read for me. Digital is fine, but there is the battery issue. I'm not in a hurry, either. On Ebay right now, there are just a few for sale under about $150, mostly vernier. Searching for Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe and Starrett also brought up every off-brand. Many of these are sold by people that have, by their own admission, little or no idea what these are, either. I'm not even sure these will measure accurately, either. I can probably have a colleague check them.

I might borrow a 12" and a 6" and see what one I use the most then buy that one. I only have a budget for one.

I like the 10" idea as well. I plan on getting a 12x18 surface plate, 12x12 at the smallest.

Back