height gage recommendations

I don't use my height gage that much, so I prefer a vernier scale on it, never gums up, no batteries to die, no electronics to die. I bought a nice, old, slightly used Starrett 12" height gage off eBay in the original box, with accessories, in like new condition for 30 some dollars, delivered. I will take it over an import dial or electronic height gage anytime.

Bob, that same "like new" gage today is over $100 shipped. E-bay has changed.
Dang it. I had a beautiful "Mauser" made in Germany, height gage. It burned.
I have been looking.
A new Starrett today, $MSC on sale $1,358.

I picked up a small (10"?), very old B&S vernier height gauge at Cabin Fever this year. The price was right. But I gotta say, the vernier scale is just about unreadable. I need a magnifying glass and flashlight to use it. I think an import dial height gauge is in my future. Shars has a 6" dial height gauge for $42.

I bought the B&S inch/metric one mentioned above. I was able to unscrew the scales and calibrate them. It was $90 shipped. Now I need to get a surface plate. I will also look for a 6" dial height gage, this one is really big.

Incidentally, what do people use to lube these? 3-1 oil? They make gage lube, too. I thought I would lightly lube the sliding scales and the screws.

I have a Shars 8" dial height gauge. Like it a lot and it wasn't very expensive

I bought the B&S inch/metric one mentioned above. I was able to unscrew the scales and calibrate them. It was $90 shipped. Now I need to get a surface plate. I will also look for a 6" dial height gage, this one is really big.

Incidentally, what do people use to lube these? 3-1 oil? They make gage lube, too. I thought I would lightly lube the sliding scales and the screws.

I use baby oil on tools i handle a lot just for slight lubricity and rust provention. Its mineral oil so seems ok and its human safe.

Just personal opinion their not best practice or anything.

Stu

You can use any light oil, CLP, etc. Corrosion-X is good stuff for instruments. I've never liked 3-in-1 oil because the vegetable oil component gums up, but YMMV. I try not to use oils that creep or penetrate on older measuring tools because they can spoil the dial face. Not so much an issue with etched metal dial faces. A gun cloth is good to keep around for wiping down tools prior to putting away.

I try to stay away from oiling measuring instruments, just keep them clean. If I do ever add oil, pretty much the only time is a gib for a sliding scale, I use instrumentment oil & very sparingly, like a drop or two. As mentioned certain oils will gum up over time. Starrett sells instrument oil. I use Kano Microil instrument oil cause I got it free with my last Kroil order.

Thanks everyone. I just want to lube the metal to metal sliding part (the ways?). If I get a dial instrument, I suppose I can use the lube for that as well.

Vernier, import or domestic, I like 50 division Starretts, or VIS with the magnifier. As long as I can find a reference datum, a few calculations don't bother me.
Digitals are handy with floating/ variable zero, but I don't own one.
Dials have to be name brand produced by them not offshore, and ONLY in clean environments. Like calipers the rack and mesh don't accept dirt. But good ones can be serviced.
Cheap means there isn't any parts inventory.

Back