Height of the PM-1340GT stand?

Dpaul7

Registered
Registered
Can anyone tell me the maximum height in inches from the floor to the underside of the chip pan of the PM1330GT mounted on the? PM-1340GT steel stand. i. e. the height of the pedestals of the stand. I want to put a chest of drawers under my soon to be delivered lathe. Either build or buy. Need to know dimensions to begin build.

Mine is 27.5” not including the leveling feet. Just the stand.

For me, not high enough. Added 3x3 tubes to raise and widen feet. Might check comfort height, tubes might give more room for tool box if you need it. Lots of good ideas on building your own stand (Best and Jacobs, and others) - given what I know now, would have gone that way.

David, Thanks again for your most excellent work! Very encouraging. I have had no luck in contacting Mark J. Through HM. Any Chance you might have contact info? Or could send him mine?
Best Regards
David.

I bought two Harbor Freight 26x22 U.S. General Tool Cabinets and set them side by side. I did not install the roller wheels. Those were screwed to a couple 2x12 to make a 4 wheeled cart all perpendicular to the 30" Length and a 4 wheeled cart with all 4 rotating in direction. The carts to unload to and move the lathe near position for the lift. The actual dimensions of the side by side cabinets are 53.37W x 22.12D x 35.25H. Building a 2x2 steel frame that snugs to both ends of the cabinets with the top still about 35.5H. I am sure it is a bit taller than I want the lathe to sit. Also sure I want those cabinets under the Lathe. The cabinets have adhesive attached 2.5x2.5 furniture sliders stacked 3 tall under each corner to elevate them a bit in case the floor gets wet or they need to be moved around a bit.

I am 5'10" or at least I was a few years ago anyway. If I was much shorter I would be looking to see if cutting 2" off the bottom of the cabinets was viable.

That sounds pretty good. How did it all work out for you. Do you still like the setup? So far I have decided to just stick with the stands and roll my tool cabinets around in one large stack between my lathe and my mill. Thanks for the reply.
David

Still building it. Lathe is about 10 days out. I see I will need to raise it 1/4" to add plate steel under inside anchor holes as they are only about 50" from the tailstock end holes.

If I need support there.

Do you know if supporting only at the two outside sets of holes is adequate? I assume that would tend to twist the lathe bed a bit.

Edit: Spanning with a 12x24x0.75 A36 steel plate at Headstock end. This raises my table height to 36". A few inches taller than I want but worth it for the cabinets.

Last edited:
Personally I would try to support all the sets of holes for the reason you state. Flat is good!

Back