Helical milling

The motors are SEM brand, rescued from duty driving a 6.1m LEO (Low Earth Orbit) precision satellite tracking Earthstation dish. The reason they became orphaned was because a SEM were bought out by a German company which was taking up their entire production capability, so we had to seek out a alternative source. One is a High Response Servomotor, good to 8000RPM with 1.8Nm stall torque and can run 22A on a 350V bus. The fatter one is also 8000RPM, 3.5Nm stall torque, and can run 44A on a 320V bus. Unable to use on new designs, nobody wanted them anymore! I was bound to say "yes".

I did also get the drives, and cables, but unfortunately, not the connectors (cut off and dumped at the site). I have since discovered which they are.
I also have the software control suite. They sit there, nagging at me, just begging to be put to good use. Becoming a VFD speed control for a restored South Bend 9 is not my idea of a being put to good use!

Unfortunately, much of my present machining interest is drooling at other HM member's projects! The damn pestilence bounced me straight into an already overdue retired status, and home situation outbuilding shop construction (COVID-delayed) will only get going maybe as Spring arrives. My (new) MT3 mill drill is still in it's crate. The vise and DRO are still in their shipping wrappers. There are boxes of stuff to be opened. Clamps, ER32 collet chuck set, parallels, cutters, the whole shebang.

The servomotors are still on the floor, imploring me to get some amps into them. For the present, what passes for machine interest stuff in the garage, is much more mundane :(
Totally get it. Never enough time or funds for all the projects we want to do. And when those are accounted for I'm too exhausted to work on them!

You'll have to share when you get them up and running. Let me know if you need a hand. No experience with SEM brand, but I used to support servo motors and have a good amount of experience with getting them working.

Back