Helix master

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This item appeared on E Bay, not clear as to what it does; I wonder if it traces a helical feature on flat objects while sitting on a mill or similar machine table.
E Bay item # 124167613931
Anyone heard of this device before? I saw no mention of it on "the net" other than the EB item for sale.

According to a post from 2015 on another very well-known machinist forum, it is “....a portable milling attachment intended for in-place milling on a lathe when mounted on the cross slide or temporarily mounted and referenced on any larger work requiring localized milling... The same post suggests they are still made by Climax as well as VersaMil.

I was able to locate VersaMil and found a line of similar “Master” devices but not specifically the Helix Master. Reading some of their literature it seems to indicate the line of accessories first started in 1948, was subsequently sold to another interest, but now is back being manufactured by VersaMil if I read the brochure correctly. It may be an early device no longer offered, or perhaps it still is and I just missed finding it.

-frank

Helix Master sounds like the evil villain in a B-movie sci-fi.

I have a nearly complete MasterMill with all the accessories and original catalogs and literature, I see no mention of the Helix Master, and do not see in any way that it could perform any machining operations on its own, as it has no "live" spindle; it looks to be only able to be held down on a mill table and do it's thing, it appears that the handwheel would be used to cause rotation of the work holding spindle, and the adjustable angular device would vary the pitch of the helix being generated, but that's only my possible take on what I see. It would be wonderful if a piece of literature could be found. Another thing is the location of the factory, not the same as MasterMill. I doubt that they were associated, it is a fairly common name, one that comes to mind is Master that sold patternmaker's supplies.

A good friend suggests that it is for milling screw machine cams, there is a multi lobed cam between the two words Helix and Master, I think that he has it right!

Back