Hello and thoughts on ACRA

Northlander

Registered
Registered
Hello I just joined the forum, excited to start learning. The last time I did machining was about 10 years ago in high school shop class. I now have a detached garage I plan to build into my hobby machine shop to help me make parts for my side projects. I came across this mill on an auction near me and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them and what they are worth? It's an ACRA GS-18F with DRO, it won't let me post a link but if you go to K-bid and search for "mill" it's at the bottom of the list. Any insight would be much appreciated!

My 9 x 50 ACRA LCM50 came from Taiwan, and was made in the same factory as Sharp, but I do not know enough to confirm your mill. Hopfully one of the more knowledgeable gurus will be by soon.

Last edited:
my round ram j head has aloud me to all the project i need to do, and that is a lot more mill than my $500 Bridgeport

looks nice. Boxed ways instead of dovetailed. 3 hp Baldor Super E motor and a VFD of some sort (hopefully for single phase input?). Kurt power drawbar. way covers. Albrect chuck and some collets. Acurite DRO (I have the same MillMate on my MSC Mill)

Looks to be in decent shape? Sounds quiet in the video. A lot of extras on that mill.

I'm no expert but it looks very tempting to me.

Hey!! I'm bidding on that!
Just kidding. LOL.

I did see that mill since I am signed up for Fram Fram's auctions. That Acra will do you well for a hobby shop. Like others have pointed out, it appears to be in very good shape.

Edit: Just an FYI... the guy that owns the auction house can be a real piece of work. I hate dealing with him. So, keep that in mind, although it should not affect the auction. If you need a rigger, I am guessing Tom Kluge would be the preferred choice.

You will definately be bidding against him.

There are a couple of Kurt vises on the same auction. Nice looking mill. Be wary of rigging fees. Sometimes they charge an extra 500 bucks to get it to the door.
Martin

Last edited:
It's less than an hour from where I live and I have a 10,000lb trailer. I also have a skid steer, I think I could drive it over, load it up, and drive home.
That is a good plan IF they will let you operate your skid steer on their property. I would check into that before placing it in your mind that that is what you are going to do.

Back