Hello, Gary, AKA Cyclebuster.

Cyclebuster

Registered
Registered
I just purchased a 1942 Index model 40 powerfeed mill. Its in surprisingly good condition. I also have a unimat 1, which is in good condition for a jewelers mill/ lathe. I repair and restore vintage bikes and motorcycles. the more i learn about this mill, the more i realize i should have had one 20 years ago. Its B&S#9 of course, and all i got was a 3/8 tool holder. I will slowly get things in order, but the first pressing business is a boring head, so i can bore cycle cylinders. Index has raised the remill price to the point that i would rather buy collets, and used holders then pay for R8. I need some pieces for the quill feed, but the basic mechanism works, i just need the shield, idler, and the pulley. it sounds real good running, no rumble, or dry sounds. way over sized vise, i will likely change that. I am sure its not capable of producing critical tolerances, but i don't need that. i am looking for a nice large frame lathe also, just because i can. My shop has multiplied in ability many times over, and i am ready to ramp up the motorcycle restoration business. i have a couple welders, a large air compressor, a tire machine, a 50 ton Carolina press, a commercial motorcycle lift, and a 2 post hoist. Grinders, buffers and air tools, i dont need much more to launch a retail restoration service. If anyone has any useful B&S#9 basics laying around i would pay market value.

Starting pretty much from scratch, I would look for a ER collet set with a B&S 9 shank, if something like that is available. It will work over a continuous range of sizes, metric and imperial. I just looked quickly and did not find one with a B&S 9 shank, but the shank could be shop made, though that might well be a bit much for a newbie without a lathe or mill tooling.

You can do a lot with just 4 collet sizes: 3/8",1/2", 5/8" and 3/4". The import BS9s are ok. Original Brown and Sharpe are getting very hard to find.
Royal made some very good ones, also hard to find
mark

You can do a lot with just 4 collet sizes: 3/8",1/2", 5/8" and 3/4". The import BS9s are ok. Original Brown and Sharpe are getting very hard to find.
Royal made some very good ones, also hard to find
mark
I am looking at a 1 1/2 X18 tpi adaptor. as well as a few collets. i have found very little actual #9 tools. And i am sure all the #9 bits are long in the scrap.

Hello Gary and welcome to the group!

Yep that is a big vise on that nice old mill. Congratulations.

-brino

Back