Help assessing old SB 10 L lathe

I have heard two things over the years. The anchor is the stamp of approval from the US Navy inspector. The initials can be either two inspectors, or an inspector, and the initials of the facility.

FC65023E-8F92-4ACF-80BF-0B5E98D1F190.jpeg

Superurban, thanks. Pretty much confirms what I heard from Steve Wells earlier today. Steve has a list of known SB inspectors, and the two sets of initials do appear on his list, from other machines.

Still trying to decider the third set of mystery stampings found on the other side of the bed. Best guess at present, is it might be some kind of facility inventory number, applied after the Navy shipped the lathe to the field. It’s kind of cryptic- “MA E127”. So far haven’t found anything in WW II ship numbers or Navy noumenclature that remotely resembles ‘MA’. I could see E127 being an Engineering ID number perhaps... but still a guess...

Glenn

Looks like a good old girl there Glen,How badly worn is it, does it cut straight, can it hold a size. Got a proper Norton box as well, so should be good for threads. Even the lead screw doesn't look too bad, what I can see of it. should get a good range of threads out of it.

Bob, it seems to be in pretty good shape, aside from being dirty and a bit old looking. It’s been in storage for best part of 60 years, so hasn’t had much use, post military work. I’ve been cutting some internal threads with it. Seems to work fine, once I learned all the little tricks in setting it up. I plan on cutting a test bar next week to see how much run out and wear it might have. Wouldn’t be surprised if it shows very little wear on the ways.

Glenn

Back