HELP! broke vial on Starrett #98

All you have to do is clamp one end in a soft jaw, grab the other end with pliers wrapped in tape, as not to mar the finish and the end comes right out. The ends are not pressed in very hard at all, maybe 15-20 lbs of force.
As they say, your experience may vary. I've seen the tube and/or ends destroyed in the removal process you describe. Some may come out as easy as you say, but some will not and will be distorted; seen it happen more than once.

jack vines

Last edited:
As they say, your experience may vary. I've seen the tube and/or ends destroyed in the removal process you describe. Some may come out as easy as you say, but some will not and will be distorted; seen it happen more than once.

jack vines

I think the key, like with most things is be careful and diligent. Try a simple solution first, if there is any appreciable resistance or binding, stop and think about another solution. Be mindful of the materials and designs you’re working with, and don’t force things.

I got it back recently. Looks great. The box it came in (the original 50+ year old one) was busted so they sent me a new one. Great customer service at Starrett!

I have a broken vial that I need to replace. Where can you buy just the vial. When I took mine apart one end just slipped out with a slight tug. And it slid back in with only a slight push. My level is rather unique. I have been searching for info on it and found zip. Nothing. It may be custom made. I got it at a thrift store where the owner was selling off her dad's stuff after he had passed away. He was a retired machinist with a shop in his garage.

IMG_4036.JPG

I have a broken vial that I need to replace. Where can you buy just the vial. When I took mine apart one end just slipped out with a slight tug. And it slid back in with only a slight push. My level is rather unique. I have been searching for info on it and found zip. Nothing. It may be custom made. I got it at a thrift store where the owner was selling off her dad's stuff after he had passed away. He was a retired machinist with a shop in his garage.
I would call up Starrett and ask them. The woman who works in that dept is very helpful. That vial looks very similar to the one on my level.

Last edited:
I replaced mine after breaking the vial on a second 89 I got from a friend. It was a little messed up and taking it apart was really kinda challenging. I lost the challenge when it came to the vial. Once cleaned out, reinstalling the new one was not so difficult. The ends are REALLY on there. No telling how many years old this one is either, it's worn to the brass in places. I like having two, leveling the lathe is much less work with two.

I have been to Starrett's website and it is not working on my computer. I will check again to see it there is a phone number.

One of the ends came right off. I don't think that I will have any problems getting the broken vial out and replacing it. Finding the right vial seems to be the only stumbling block.

Thanks I have one with a broken vial as well.
Does anyone know how to determine the age of these levels?

I have been to Starrett's website and it is not working on my computer. I will check again to see it there is a phone number.

One of the ends came right off. I don't think that I will have any problems getting the broken vial out and replacing it. Finding the right vial seems to be the only stumbling block.
I talked to Leah, I think.
978-249-3551 x238
Repair@starrett.com
888-647-7443

In my notes I have the vial as costing $51.

All you have to do is clamp one end in a soft jaw, grab the other end with pliers wrapped in tape, as not to mar the finish and the end comes right out. The ends are not pressed in very hard at all, maybe 15-20 lbs of force. Only need one end out. Break out the old glass bits. Soak or heat in water to dissolve old plaster. The paper aligns the tube, so pack plaster in one side, slide tube in, more plaster on the end. End cap slides in easy with a vise. Just try not to put too much plaster in. Easy to adjust and center the vial in the opening.

Pulling replacing the vial is about 45 minutes, and I’ve never replaced this kind before. Longest thing was boiling the tube to dissolve old plaster, that took about an hour.

You should self-align a level regularly, self aligning it should take no more than 5 minutes. A self-aligning jig is nothing more than a bar with a fine pitch screw at one end.

I didn’t think it was that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats the way I have done it put a piece of white paper under the vial to give a reflective background, write your name on it, cool idea

Back