Help Brown and Sharpe collets-tooling

Sockeye1

Registered
Registered
I work in a remote part of Alaska for the summer months processing salmon and we have a B&S 2A heavy milling machine. I has a vertical milling head installed. When I came to work at the place I believe that the last operator took all the tooling and collets for the machine. I need help identifying the head so I can hopefully purchase collets. The machine is in Alaska and I have to access to it but the head is in the lower 48.

milling head 2.jpegmilling head.jpegIMG_1165.JPGIMG_1166.JPGIMG_1168.JPG

milling head 2.jpegmilling head.jpeg

Curious, I went looking. Didn't find any mention until page 27... Started at the back parts lists - no mention.
No. 7 and or an 'R' type No. 5. I can't figure out what a #5 looks like...
1581377509063.png
-=--=-
Here's another Parts List catalog from 1939 although it is for the 'light type' :

One thing to know is that B&S has somewhat their own language when it comes to the word (collet), it is not a collet in the sense that a R8 is a collet, the term covers what we would call taper sleeves. They did make split collets with B&S OD tapers and straight bores that were pulled in by drawbars. A B&S #7 would have had a very limited capacity so far as diameter of tool shanks accomodated is concerned; taper shank end mill adaptors would be a better bet.

Thanks for everybody’s replies. I have not found anything regarding the attachment head in the manuals that received links for. I am looking at B&S tapers and it measuring out to be a #11 taper. Because of the slot and the threads I was guessing it was missing a nut to hold in some kind of collet/tool holder. I ordered a number 11 taper off of eBay today. There is a through hole to use a draw bar to hold the taper in. Will update when I receive the taper. Thanks

Back