Help buying Exacto mill off CL

Plan the move well, the bottom will try it's best to go on top. :) Like a rock under a skate board wheel, be safe, and nice score:encourage:

Holy moly you you did awesome!
Congratulations on NMD (new mill day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son and I got her in place the next day. It was easier than I anticipated, but still took most of the day and redneck engineering. Yesterday I received my VFD, a WEG CFW300A07P3S2NB20 with GSDA-5K pot from AutomationDirect. I haven't wired one of these before but it looks relatively straight forward.

My goal this weekend is to branch off my 220 line and make a drop at the mill and another on the far wall for convenience. I'm hoping to fire-up the mill. The belt for the change pulleys is quite stretched and there isn't enough adjustment for a good fit, but it should suffice for testing.

The only other obvious issue I discovered is the up and down tilt doesn't work. I'm guessing the previous user attempted to adjust it without loosening the 3 bolts and either stripped the gears or sheared the pin. Other than the little bit of research I did, I'm not familiar with the mechanism. I've watched videos for repairing the issue with the side to side tilt, but haven't seen anything on the up and down part. I imagine they are similar. I intend to build a fixture like Mr. Pete's to support the head on the table. I'll have to figure it out from there. If you've been down this road, I'd appreciate your advice.

That's a very nice looking machine you picked up. You'll love the VFD - the actual wiring of the VFD is very straight forward, you do need to bypass the mill's existing motor contactors and tie the existing motor control switches into the VFD (the start/stop/reverse is managed in the VFD).

I did a similar activity on a drill press - I did a very sketchy lash up to get it figured out, then I gutted the existing electrics and installed the VFD in a nice cabinet and wired it all pretty and legal.

Back