Help decode Russian spec

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Related to the stuff in another thread, I have received my low-cost ex Soviet technology new-old-stock photomultipier tube, and we run into the problem of technical data unreadable!

Titov's 84-5b.jpegTitov's 84-5c.jpegTitov's 84-5d.jpegTitov's 84-5e.jpeg

Umm.. I guess now I had better learn some Cyrillic letters. I think there is a online translation keyboard out there..
Not too hard to infer pin numbers and electrode connections, but on page 2 the going gets tough.
BUT..
Since the Sun never sets on 30K+ HM members, and there might be some among us who can read it right off.
Now I think on it, that is a big ask.

Ahh Haa .. I found the keyboard with the "E's" written mirror image and a "P" is really a "R."
--> https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/russian.htm

This glasnost era stuff is dated 1989. Clearly unopened before now, the sponge packing inside has gone all crumbles.
I guess this is what you would call "Soviet cold-war-surplus"! :)

Related to the stuff in another thread, I have received my low-cost ex Soviet technology new-old-stock photomultipier tube, and we run into the problem of technical data unreadable!

View attachment 326090View attachment 326091View attachment 326092View attachment 326093

Umm.. I guess now I had better learn some Cyrillic letters. I think there is a online translation keyboard out there..
Not too hard to infer pin numbers and electrode connections, but on page 2 the going gets tough.
BUT..
Since the Sun never sets on 30K+ HM members, and there might be some among us who can read it right off.
Now I think on it, that is a big ask.

Ahh Haa .. I found the keyboard with the "E's" written mirror image and a "P" is really a "R."
--> https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/russian.htm

This glasnost era stuff is dated 1989. Clearly unopened before now, the sponge packing inside has gone all crumbles.
I guess this is what you would call "Soviet cold-war-surplus"! :)
My Russian is more than a little rusty so I can't help there.

The Google translation app has helped me with some Chinese documentation. Just point your camera at the text and it will overlay the translation on the image.

My Russian is more than a little rusty so I can't help there.

The Google translation app has helped me with some Chinese documentation. Just point your camera at the text and it will overlay the translation on the image.
OK - thanks. I will try it.
The keyboard method works, but is very slow. To begin with, the layout is very different, but you search around to spot the letters, then typein the web keyboard, copy the string, put in Google Translate, and it yields a word.

After about 10 minutes, one starts to get used to the "sound" associated with each Cyrillic letter, and the Western equivalent. At that stage, many words become "readable" by context. Honestly - I reckon it might take at least a couple of years to learn some Russian.

e.g. --> Фотоэпектронный = Photoelectronic
The capital Phi is the "F", which takes in the P and h together. The "ото" completes it to "Photo".
The "backwards "э" is still an "e". Add in the lambda math symbol with the Rho math symbol in there and we have
"эпектро" = electro .. and so on.

Definitely going to try the cool-sounding "point the camera at it" translation app.

[EDIT: .. which I now regret. So far, it has not been allowed to run because of a blizzard of adverts, and Tik Tok so insistent and in your face, it seems the only way to make it go away is to "install" it. If after I get translator to run even once, and see the translation, then it shall be purged, and camera permissions etc. denied for Google. Even without the translation, I will never agree to live with this thing! ]

Last edited:
Definitely going to try the cool-sounding "point the camera at it" translation app.

[EDIT: .. which I now regret. So far, it has not been allowed to run because of a blizzard of adverts, and Tik Tok so insistent and in your face, it seems the only way to make it go away is to "install" it. If after I get translator to run even once, and see the translation, then it shall be purged, and camera permissions etc. denied for Google. Even without the translation, I will never agree to live with this thing! ]

That's odd, I don't see any ads at all. I'm sure that Google is harvesting all the data they can which creeps me out but I have come to accept a significant loss of privacy in order to gain access to some of the useful features available on the Internet.

I am running "Google Translate" on Android from the play store. Perhaps you got a third party implementation, which I expect would just be a wrapper around Google's translation service with added ads for monetization.

Hi @foleda
I get that. I still have my Gmail, but only used minimally for those who don't use my own mailer - and HM
My own (highly secure) mailer works perfectly well.
I don't feed Google unnecessarily either. The googletagmanager script is denied, as it googlesyndication. My browsing life is without adverts. The tools are NoScript and uBlock Origin. DuckDuckGo uses Google (and other) search engines without tracking you. XSS (cross-site scripting) is utterly banned, as are attempts profile a browser signature. The terms on which I use the internet are modified by mine!

Re: the Cyrillic. I found a 2-stage way. There are free OCR sites where you get whatever it can extract from the image, delivered as text in Cyrillic. Then that, offered at Google Translate, yields enough to be able to put together a translated version.
One of the best OCR engines the online sites used was Tesseract, which I discover is open source software that can install on my PC with just a click on the repository software tool.
One interesting thing is that Google Translate does not use any kind of dictionary lookup. It works well in sentence context, but often messes up on individual words.

It's been interesting. I have a fragment from my final put-together. In the end, it becomes a whole lot easier to just type up the translation, once the words become known, or sufficiently readable.
Titov's 84-5b-fragment.png

Err.. no. I cannot imagine why an electronic component needs a PASSPORT, but there it is! :)

Hi @foleda
I get that. I still have my Gmail, but only used minimally for those who don't use my own mailer - and HM
My own (highly secure) mailer works perfectly well.
I don't feed Google unnecessarily either. The googletagmanager script is denied, as it googlesyndication. My browsing life is without adverts. The tools are NoScript and uBlock Origin. DuckDuckGo uses Google (and other) search engines without tracking you. XSS (cross-site scripting) is utterly banned, as are attempts profile a browser signature. The terms on which I use the internet are modified by mine!

And now for something completely off topic.

I also use my own e-mail and am a big advocate of Noscript. I am curious how you combat browser profiling. I have used random user agent strings but that is only a small part of what can be profiled.

And now for something completely off topic.

I also use my own e-mail and am a big advocate of Noscript. I am curious how you combat browser profiling. I have used random user agent strings but that is only a small part of what can be profiled.
OK - look up Canvas Defender. It is available for FireFox and Chrome Browsers, though I would never use Chrome directly. Chromium-based browsers, or the "Brave" browser with pretty much everything turned off will do.

It is a mistake to completely block a profiling attempt. The fact it got blocked is a major signal that vastly narrows their search. Much better to lie through your teeth, and send back a completely fake not-quite-random canvas profile that tries to be nearly the same as a huge majority, but messed up to be not your browser. It renews the reported fingerprint every time you reload the page.

https://multilogin.com/ is where you find out how to take this to extremes.
Adding !noise" to the browser profile has long been available.

Next is a VPN. Associating your browser canvas fingerprint with a fixed IP address is obvious. I happen to use NordVPN, but there are others. Hang around for one of the regular discount deals. About six bucks/year. Of course, my regular mailer has a fixed IP, and that is one thing that HAS to be available from my ISP if I am going to have mail not end up in everybody's spam bin. The mailer/cloud is driven from a 2GHz Raspberry Pi 4 with 500G of Samsung SSD on it.

I am up front and well enough known to all who would care whether I am one of the good guys. This does not stop me knowing that I can use a Tor browser, via an external VPN, and be anonymous, non-findable. Log in to sites with email addresses that will evaporate in a few seconds or minutes.

I have a chequered history at being a wrecker of an internet warrier, not good enough at coding to play in there.
For me then, the only way was to use open source. A matter of trust, which I had run out of.

OK - look up Canvas Defender. It is available for FireFox and Chrome Browsers, though I would never use Chrome directly. Chromium-based browsers, or the "Brave" browser with pretty much everything turned off will do.

It is a mistake to completely block a profiling attempt. The fact it got blocked is a major signal that vastly narrows their search. Much better to lie through your teeth, and send back a completely fake not-quite-random canvas profile that tries to be nearly the same as a huge majority, but messed up to be not your browser. It renews the reported fingerprint every time you reload the page.

https://multilogin.com/ is where you find out how to take this to extremes.
Adding !noise" to the browser profile has long been available.

Next is a VPN. Associating your browser canvas fingerprint with a fixed IP address is obvious. I happen to use NordVPN, but there are others. Hang around for one of the regular discount deals. About six bucks/year. Of course, my regular mailer has a fixed IP, and that is one thing that HAS to be available from my ISP if I am going to have mail not end up in everybody's spam bin. The mailer/cloud is driven from a 2GHz Raspberry Pi 4 with 500G of Samsung SSD on it.

I am up front and well enough known to all who would care whether I am one of the good guys. This does not stop me knowing that I can use a Tor browser, via an external VPN, and be anonymous, non-findable. Log in to sites with email addresses that will evaporate in a few seconds or minutes.

I have a chequered history at being a wrecker of an internet warrier, not good enough at coding to play in there.
For me then, the only way was to use open source. A matter of trust, which I had run out of.

Thanks for the link to Canvas Defender. I have not felt the need for Tor's level of anonymity but I do use a VPN. My OS has been open source since MINIX.

The Google Photos app on any Android phone can do the entire OCR > translate process on any image:

Screenshot_20200604-113810.png
Screenshot_20200604-113743.png
Screenshot_20200604-113711.png
Screenshot_20200604-113637.png
Screenshot_20200604-101048.png

I know it kinda takes the fun out of it, but it's crazy quick.

The Google Photos app on any Android phone can do the entire OCR > translate process on any image:
I know it kinda takes the fun out of it, but it's crazy quick.
Thanks very much. I was working my way through it, but it is nice to see a translator OCR that manages to put the translated bits back into the graphic, instead of just a text file.

One thing that is clear is that this one, even though ostensibly "new and unused" was made in 1988 with a shelf life of 12 years, or 6 years under other conditions. So - about 20 years beyond the pale! We shall see if it has life in it.

Back