Help designing a Tapping fixture

I thought maybe you were thinking something like these: (first one is home-brew but not mine)
tapping2x.jpgtappingf.jpeg

Well, Here’s my homemade attempt to make up a fixture to hold the tap. Easy enuf to drill out a spare socket to hold the tap, and press on a piece of 1/2” drill rod to slide up and down in a collet. It’s a little sloppy joining the tap, so will experiment a bit with it, when I get some spare time in the shop. Maybe a very small three jaw chuck, or an actual,tap holder would be better.

8F5967F7-8362-49AB-9A43-F21D425694C5.jpegD63E63AA-8D3C-4858-89A7-5AB9A7E1BCB6.jpeg

Glenn

Well, Here’s my homemade attempt to make up a fixture to hold the tap. Easy enuf to drill out a spare socket to hold the tap, and press on a piece of 1/2” drill rod to slide up and down in a collet. It’s a little sloppy joining the tap, so will experiment a bit with it, when I get some spare time in the shop. Maybe a very small three jaw chuck, or an actual,tap holder would be better.

View attachment 265896View attachment 265898

Glenn
you are going to great extremes to make it more difficult. if you don't want to power tap it you can still start the tap straight by the power tap method but stop and hand crank the rest of the way

Add me to the list of folks that tap with the drill chuck, have been doing it for 50 years or so, both in the vert. mill and the drill press; for smaller taps, I just don't tighten the chuck as much so as to allow slippage if the tap binds up. Yes, I have broken taps, but who has not?

Back