Help finding a video - collet chuck

springer

Active User
Registered
I am about to start building a collet chuck and have been looking all over for different ideas from what others have done. However, I saw a video of a really nice build a few months ago and cant, for the life of me, find it again.

I dont remember much about it, but it wasnt the typical homeshop build. It was very nice with lots of parts. I vaguely remember something to do with different pitch threads on the inside and outside of a part to draw parts in or something like that.

Anyone have any idea what I might have seen? Longshot?

YouTube or here on our site or in the wild somewhere?

I think it was YouTube, but it must have been at work when I wasn't logged in because it isnt in my history.

That I'm not sure. I cant remember.
That might make it a bit tough to locate. Searching on 'DIY Collet Chuck lathe' returns quite a lot of videos.

What make/model of lathe do you have?

Yea I've prolly watched 200 videos today looking for it. I have a pm1340gt but that wasnt what this video was using. I was just hoping maybe someone else had seen it and knew what I was talking about

Next question is do you have a certain type of part you need to turn or is this for general use?
If just for general why not got with off-the-shelf solution? ER32 style imports are pretty reasonable?
Might need a tool post grinder in order to get the taper machined true.
(I'm still searching...)

Halligan142 has a nice series of videos on how to make an ER40 collet chuck. Here is a link to the first video.

I have the PM1228. I got the Shars straight shank ER32 collet chuck. I use the 4J chuck and dial to almost zero. For the price, this is the way to go and very accurate. It's been in the lathe for two weeks now. I don't have 5C for lathe. I am planning on making a 5MT to 5C with drawbar. After reading posts here, that is the most acurate and also least expensive way to go. Have you to searched the posts here for links and information?
If you are staring from scratch, look seriously at ER40. It goes 1" dia. vs 3/4 in ER32. Already hit that limit a couple of times. Not a deal breaker, just a PIA.

Back