[Lathe] Help finding belts for a old lathe

That's an interesting lathe- do you know who made it?
Mark S.

Stop and look for another motor.

That lathe looks to be small so having one hp of power input then speed reduced the power will be much more than the frame can handle and mistakes will not cause stall but will break something.

Please confirm the size so proper motor can be suggested.

1/2 may be good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I read the rating on the motor wrong when i first got it, after some cleaning it is a 1/6 HP
2017-02-24 17.32.32.jpg

I am now up and running with belts. I found a local engineering supply company that were kind enough to help me size them up and gave me a really good price on them!
2017-02-24 18.08.26.jpg

ran it for about an hour rounding a piece of wood to test it. It seems to have some kind of mechanical overload kickout if it is to much load which is good.
The belt from the motor although gripping seems to be quite slack so i might go get a slightly smaller one but it works great.

With regards to make and model i have no idea I cannot find any distinguishing marks

I still have a bit of a way to go before I would say it's properly working, I want to fit a stop go reverse electrical panel to the front, the bolts to hold it down properly are on back order so i am using some temporary ones atm (M7 is somewhat uncommon!). in the fastest gear the belt inside rubs a part on the mechanical kickout so i need to add a spacer below the machine to bring it up an inch so it doean't rub.

I have just joined forum and think that I am rebuilding a similar lathe to yours. Have a look at http://www.lathes.co.uk/flexy/index.html. Mine is the Simat version that has no makers name or numbers etc. I am building it into a "box" so that I can use it on study desk or put in cupboard out of way when not needed. I thought that it would be more accurate for small engine parts than my 1910 Drummond in main workshop. This is my lathe as I got it off E bay.

Mysimat01.jpg

I have just joined forum and think that I am rebuilding a similar lathe to yours. Have a look at http://www.lathes.co.uk/flexy/index.html. Mine is the Simat version that has no makers name or numbers etc. I am building it into a "box" so that I can use it on study desk or put in cupboard out of way when not needed. I thought that it would be more accurate for small engine parts than my 1910 Drummond in main workshop. This is my lathe as I got it off E bay.
Nice little lathe , neat power feed set up all gear drive. And hi and welcome to the site.

Back