Resolved Help for Fat Fingers and Fading Eyesight (Spellcheck issue)

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not being a touch typist and having fading eyesight,, I rely on spellcheck to catch my errors. With the new software, spellcheck is unreliable on a good day. It will often not catch obvious errors and when a correction is made, it usually red lines the entire paragraph. Hitting the space bar at the end will remove the red line but will often leave uncorrected errors unmarked. In the interests of communicating effectively with other forum members, I would appreciate some attention given to this issue.

If you're using Chrome, you can turn on Google spell check and it seems to work well, also suggests grammar. You should see my typing before it gets corrected :confused 3:

Like you I'm not a touch typist, so I use a backlit, large letter keyboard so I can actually see the keys. :) Smart phone or something like that?...... Forgidaboutit...I can't even see the screen. :cool 2:

Thanks Jim, In some cases, I will compose the text in Word and copy and paste it into the thread. I use Firefox for my browser. I just checked options in Firefox and it may be the culprit as Firefox did an update recently. At any rate it seems to be better behaved now. Let's hope.

I also don't use my smart phone for text. If our thumbs were meant for texting, they would have been built like stylii.

I have the same problem, spell check will red line the offending word for a split second then disappear.
It must be a Firefox problem because when I went to another window then returned the word would be underlined.

I also use Firefox and the same thing happens to me sometimes. Unless the misspelled word is followed by a period. Hitting the space bar after the misspelled word seems to turn the red underline off. What usually fixes it is to type the first letter of the next word. Whereupon the red line comes back on.

I have also had the occasional case of the entire paragraph being red underlined. Typing something anywhere usually turns that back off.

Last edited:
This is for PC based Windows setup.
Another trick to try is -in the text window, Press <CTRL>+A at the same time. This is the same as select all, but you don't what the entire webpage highlighted, just the text that you are editing.
Then Click at the end of the message/paragraph. This should give you the red underlines showing spelling errors.
This works for me on Chrome & Opera. Have not tried it on Firefox yet.

That does appear to work with Firefox.

This has cropped back up. Previous method isn't working today.
I composed a message in Notepad then pasted into a new thread (Bijur Oiler) and none of my mis-sppelins showed up until I clicked on the individual lines.
Not sure if it is XenForo or Borwser related, becase as I type this thes mis-spells are showing up.

I use two extensions "spell check" and "spell checker for chrome",both are on and seem to work,the "grammarly for chrome" extension was a pain to use,so I turned it off.

none of my mis-sppelins

none of my mis-sppelins

Dan,

I don't know what to tell you. The first line above I copied out of you previous message directly into this one. The second line I copied into a .TXT file that I had created in D:\Temp. I saved the .TXT file, reopened it, highlighted the text again, did ^C and then ^V to paste it into this reply. In both lines, "mis-sppelins" is underlined in red from the spelling checker. I'm running Win 10 and using Firefox.

Back