Help for Newbie in valuation of Round Ram J Head

rs43506

Registered
Registered
Hello all!

I am new to this forum and new to machining. I do have an old FE Reed 16" Lathe that I have been learning on and I am ready to pick up a mill to start learning on that too.

I have found a mill that is quite close to me and am wondering if anyone can give me some guidance on what it is worth, assuming the ways, etc. are ok and everything is tight. I have an appointment first of the week to try it out powered up. I will, of course, take along my dial indicator, etc. to measure any slop.

I am looking for a home machine basically to learn on. I have several pieces of sheet metal forming and shaping equipment, but am looking to expand my skills with a mill. I apologize ahead of time if this is an inappropriate question, but I am just starting out and would appreciate any seasoned opinions.

http://yodermachinery.com/inventory.aspx?ti=63847

Thanks in advance for your valued opinions!

Ryan

You might be looking at a J head installed on a M mill. That might have required some grafting... It looks good in the photos, but needs to be tested and looked over to see if it is true. If I may ask, how much are they asking for it?

Thats what I have. For The price l paid no complaints. The negative is if you move the ram there is no Dove tail to keep it aligned to the table. And I have no knod. I did put an xyz dro and love it.

I believe that is too much. I paid $600 delivered. $1000 at most. Any more I would be expecting a Dove tail ram J head. BUT pricing does differ in different locations.

Thank you! That is just what i needed to know. It seemed high to me, but I am not familiar with bridgeport pricing

$2000 is too much for that machine. You can get something better with some tooling for that price. Looking at the photos I see areas that are painted that should not be. Like the fine down and automatic feed area. The quill handle looks to be a bit short and not the original to me. Table is full of holes and chipped out areas. This machine is well used and not worth more than $500 anywhere even if in somewhat usable shape.

$2000 is too much for that machine. You can get something better with some tooling for that price. Looking at the photos I see areas that are painted that should not be. Like the fine down and automatic feed area. The quill handle looks to be a bit short and not the original to me. Table is full of holes and chipped out areas. This machine is well used and not worth more than $500 anywhere even if in somewhat usable shape.

Thank you! Your opinion and input is greatly appreciated!

Back