Help Id An Antique Disk?

n3480h

Active User
Registered
I have an old disk that my son salvaged from a farm grove. I am trying to rebuild it so I can use in in the garden - and make the garden bigger. I have two of these disk units and it appears the manufacturer might have sold them on a "buy as many as you need" basis. They have an incredible number of adjustments and are really a marvel of old school engineering. They appear to have all their parts, except for the disk scrapers (which were probably an option). The only identification on them that I can find is individual part numbers which are cast into the parts, for example: DG8, DG12, and so on.

For these reasons, I want to return the disks to service. I'd like to know the name of the manufacturer and approximate year of manufacture, so that I can paint them the right color. Thanks for your help.

Tom

Disk 1.jpg

I am amazed that no one has been able to ID the disk, not even some old famers in this area. So, fired up the welder and burned some 2" steel tube and angle. The idea (maybe nutz), is to build a framework for the disks which can be easily set up for other soil working tools. It may be possible to add rippers behind the disks when the disks are set straight as in the picture, with the disks serving as openers. The disks are adjustable for angle/sweep. It also seems possible to remove the disks and drop a trail mower deck into the framework. I still have to set the axles and mount the wheels, and add a weight box at the rear and a small tool box on the tongue, and then paint it all.

Tom

Disk build.jpg

a guess on my part

but i think what you have is not actually a set of disks for tilling like you would think .

but guessing from the adjustments and the original mounting i think what you have was used on a smaller row crop cultivating tractor for either making raised rows on a truck farm ( vegetables )
or was used to make dykes for flood irrigation .

a guess on my part

but i think what you have is not actually a set of disks for tilling like you would think .

but guessing from the adjustments and the original mounting i think what you have was used on a smaller row crop cultivating tractor for either making raised rows on a truck farm ( vegetables )
or was used to make dykes for flood irrigation .

Could be, the adjustments would allow "hilling" or shallow trenching. But the disk sets can also be set to till or serve as openers. I finished preliminary assembly yesterday and took it out to some hard pack dirt. Pulling with a 400cc 4x4 quad, it tilled 4" deep and left what I would consider a good seedbed. The quad had no trouble pulling it and there's no doubt it could be set to 6-8" deep. The frame is .188" wall 2x2 square tube and weighs enough that there will be no need for a weight box. Took the unit apart, sandblasted and painted it yesterday. During blasting I saw green paint under some of the rust, so I painted the disk units JD green. I'll post pics of the finished frame with the disks mounted in a day or two. Now I'm looking for cultivator shanks and sweeps to reduce the labor of weeding in a large garden.

Well, we still don't know what it is or who made it, but we do know it works well for our purposes. Painting's done and the garden is a day or two from being dry enough to work.

Tom
Disk painted.jpg

looking good , i bet if you was to post a few pics at one of the antique tractor forums you would find someone who could identify them .

the only downside to that is your also very likely to find someone who wants or just flat out needs them to complete a project .
chances are they are also fairly rare and hard to find ... especially in that good of condition with all of the original hardware intact .

glad to see you are saving and putting them to good use

Back