Help ID and advise on SB 9" 61-A

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm a home hobbyist and not quite a year ago bought my first machinery - a Shoptask 1720. I'm still a rookie but want to move up as my budget will allow. I'm looking at a SB 9" x 48" for sale in my area. It's advertised having catalog # 61-A. I searched online for information about it, but can't find anything that matches this one's looks, particularly the overhead motor. I want threading capabilities and something I won't grow out of too quickly. If any of you recognize it and can tell me more about it before I look at it this weekend, I'd appreciate it. For example, does it have gears or is there anything I should ask or specifically look at and test before making a decision?

Thanks

South Bend  61-A.JPG

Attachments

• South Bend  61-A.JPG
    South Bend 61-A.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 22
It looks like this one. Definitely not a 9".

scan%20(22).jpg

1584209910370.png

I found a link to SB 1938 models at vintagemachinery's website, but it won't let me post the link. It has similar 9" A, B, and C models, but no overhead motor setup like this one. The single lever gearbox is interesting - thanks for the post martik777. It helped find a post on the Practical Machinist website for SB single-lever-vs-two-lever-gearbox

I'm going to take a close look at this lathe and if it functions properly and has no major slop or issues, I'll probably buy it. Thanks all!

Looks like an older machine, thst gear box was standard production in the 1920’s. So it’s NOT an A,B,C Model SB - which weren’t built until after 1935. Nothing wrong with older machines, just check the bed to see if this has acceptable wear on the ways. Lay a ruler or straight edge on the ways near the chuck. Shine a flashlight behind. If you can see a noticeable dip in the bed - light shinning through the slit with the ruler, from long term use- walk away. The machine will be completely worn out. And You’ll have a terrible time trying to make accurate parts. If not, likely will be a nice machine for you.

I checked the ways how Glenn suggested and they were straight. There are a couple of minor dings on one of the ways, but hardly noticeable. I saw no evidence the chuck had ever been dropped on them. Everything worked as advertised, and while she needs some cleaning and lube, it appears to be in very good condition if not excellent condition for its age. I'll learn a lot about it when I take it down for a good clean and lube - maybe even new paint.

The back story is the man who owned it recently passed away. He had it for the 40 years he lived in the house, and the seller believed he and his owned it years prior to that, and possibly bought it new when they owned a farm. The seller has lived across the street for the past 35 years and his son bought the house and the seller the lathe - which I'm pretty sure came with the house.

Thanks everyone

I have an old Lindsay reprint of South Bend Lathes catalog No. 94 February, 1934.
It has two 9” lathe models, the Junior and the Toolmaker.
The lathe you are looking at is the 9” from the Junior line.
It appears the 9” toolmaker was a new line at the time, made a little different probably to cut down on manufacturing cost?
Also The toolmaker line at this time (1934) shows no option for a QC gearbox or a A B or C model designation.
I have owned a 9” (toolmaker type) mod C , (left the factory in April 1938) for almost 40yrs.
It spent it’s first 30yrs in a high school, and it looks it.
Anybody looking at it would say it is worn out.
But it still makes accurate very accurate parts, I use it often.
Sorry no pics, appears to be above my abilities.

Has anyone ordered a serial number card from South Bend for an old lathe, like mine? Here is part of South Bend's response to me. I'm happy to fork over the $25 fee if the information is useful. I'd like to know what I can expect to receive. My serial # is 30889. I can't find any letters associated with it. Cast into stand are the numbers 42 and 72. They are spaced apart and there is a something centered between them. I think it's a C, I just can't tell.

I've decided to partially take the lathe down for a good cleaning and inspection. That will likely result in a complete tear-down and cleaning and replacement of any necessary parts and a repaint. I have a hard time finding stopping points on my projects and tend to go overboard. There look to be some good books for doing this, I just don't want to buy the wrong ones and anything unnecessary. This is why I want to be certain of the lathe I have. Remember, I'm a rookie.

Thanks

Every South Bend lathe sold between 1929 and 2008 has a serial number card on file that includes vital information necessary when ordering parts. For older lathes this will be a one-line ledger entry and information will be limited. We offer scanned PDF versions of this card for $25.00.

Last edited:
The back story is the man who owned it recently passed away. He had it for the 40 years he lived in the house, and the seller believed he and his owned it years prior to that, and possibly bought it new when they owned a farm. The seller has lived across the street for the past 35 years and his son bought the house and the seller the lathe - which I'm pretty sure came with the house.

I was going to suggest getting the card from Grizzly if you were interested in sales date and original owner. I see you already know about that.

Has anyone ordered a serial number card from South Bend for an old lathe, like mine?

I have NOT.

My 1939 Southbend 9" looks very similar except for the overhead motor. I have the single gear select lever too.
Mine is catalog number 409-R, with taper attachment, Model 9A (with screwcutting gearbox and power cross feed), serial number: 94780, 9" swing
bed 4-1/2 foot, leadscrew 8 tpi, 1-1/2-8tpi spindle nose, MT3 headstock taper, 3/4" thru hole, MT2 tailstock taper.

I have some old Southbend catalogs at home.
I will try to find your catalog number and post some scans.
(feel free to PM me if I get distracted)

-brino

Back