Help ID and advise on SB 9" 61-A

as long as you can still reinstall the spindle and set any preload necessary on the bearings (don't know much about SB lathes) I'd leave it as is. If you had big issues with the spindle sheave and had to press it off, you'd need to remove the gear, but I can't see it causing much hassle right now.

Is it brazed, or welded on? A braze can be easily removed. Not so much for a weld. There is probably a key slot or something in the spindle that is not in the gear. If it needs just a slot, that can be easily done, even on a lathe. The later lathes have a Woodruff key in that position - not so sure about this lathe.

Looks like a weld to me from the picture. I'm with Matt, if it works don't mess with it. There are plenty of ugly things people have done to get by which might look bad but don't hurt anything.

John

I’m with Matt & Matthew. If it works just use it. Some stones are better left unturned.
You can gather parts in the meantime and repair it right then.

Yep, good choice, likely not brazing, brazing usually shows signs of melted brass - or some form of yellow filler metal. Yours looks like somebody used welding heat to melt themcasting. So if you take it off, you’ve got next to irreparable melting in the spindle and ID surface of the gear. Also, rule of thumb: brazing adheres to the surface with bronze or brass filler. Welding melts the surface and fills into the melt with welding rod of some sort. Welding is a fusion of materials, brazing, more like ”glue” on the surface...

Better off to just do some chip making and see how it runs. If it’s good and can hold to a thou repeatedly, when turning round stock, enjoy it and use it,..

If it needs repair, well then dig in. Recommend you find replacement spindle parts before you tear down. Then just figure on throwing the welded bits away and replacing with newer, better components.

Last edited:
It could even be a silver soldering job. I don't think that it is a weld, because there aren't any undercuts visible. Also, welding would probably have cracked the cast iron gear.

But I agree with "just run the lathe".

Back