Help! Ideas! Binding Saddle

James_Douglas

Registered
Registered
Ok,

I have been at it for a couple of hours. When I tighten the screws on the front and/or the bolts on the rear Gib of the Saddle on my Logan 820 it binds to the way.

I took this thing apart several years ago and I don't remember there being any shims. I did not run it when I purchased it. It was a mess and needed to be taken apart and rebuilt. You can see the photos in my other thread.

I have the power system, the gearbox, and the headstock all done and it runs nice. I have been using it to dress shafts, pins, and the like for rebuilding the tailstock, saddle-cross-slide, and the apron.

But, the saddle locks down then I tighten the Front Gib or the Saddle Gib.

Anyone have any ideas? I am pulling my hair out. I removed the Saddle Gib (rear) and put 3/64 inch worth of shims in the front Gib and it got closer to not binding but once I tighten the front screws good, it locked down.

I seriously doubt I have to add upwards of an 1/8 inch to get it to fit properly.

Anyone have any ideas? I really want to hang the apron back on, but until I figure out the Gib issue I am stuck.

Thanks, James.

Isn't tightening the carriage gibs supposed to lock down the carriage? I forget how the 820 is set up, but my 1957 has two screws in front on top of the apron. You just tighten enough so it will move freely, but you can't lift The front. Then do same on rear gib.

Make sure the carriage lock isn't doing something funny, maybe?

I am an idiot, RTFM!

I just read over page 9 of the book I got from Logan. It says:

" ...These gibs are adjustable and should be set just tight enough to give a firm sliding fit between the carriage and the bed."

Since the Fillister screws on the front and the bolts on the back have small old school (SAE) lock washers on them, I assumed wrongly that the screws/bolts are to be tightened. I think I will find some small wave washers to put on them and then "adjust them to a "firm sliding fit" and call it good.

Thanks everyone!

James

James,

It never occurred to me that they might be missing. But gib screws should each have a lock nut on them. And should NOT have any lock washers.

I don't know about the screws on the front. On a machine with a two-piece carriage (separate saddle and apron), the screws that attach the apron to the saddle are usually where the ones in your photos are. But I haven't located an 800 manual so don't know what they screw into.

Just looked at your rebuild thread pics. Let me know if you're going to throw away the turret cross slide

The saddle screws are not torqued, as you now see. However, if you have been making these adjustments and sliding the saddle by itself, by hand, you will not have it tight enough. The carriage pinion drive increases the advantage by a tremendous amount. It also drives in a completely linear fashion, unlike you do in pushing it by hand. What is far too tight to slide the apron easily by hand will be exceedingly easy by the gear drive. Get the apron on and the drive hooked up before you worry about final adjustments.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Reporting Live from Brockville, Ontario.

Back