Help identify old lathe

pattatat

Registered
Registered
Hello all
I'm looking at buying a lathe (possibly mill later) for my shop. I took a couple years in college, one with manual machines and one with CNC.
I'd like to get these mostly for random projects and old cars. For now, I'd like something running on 115V, maybe my next shop I can get bigger machines.
This lathe is on craigslist, and the guy doesn't know what it is. $800
Any ideas?
crucW0M.jpg
2YOGvwW.jpg
Thanks
Pat

Hi Pat,

Welcome to the Hobby Machinist!

It looks like it has a "jack-shaft" out the back for changing speeds-that's good!
It looks like it has a (probably 3-jaw) chuck installed-good!
It has a quick-change gear box, a chuck in the tailstock, a faceplate, fixed steady, and it even has the threading dial-great!

If you go see it be sure to check for other equipment (4-jaw chuck, extra chuck jaws, more faceplates, any more tool holders, tool bits, etc.)
I wonder if it has/needs any "extra" change gears.......

If you get it, then you may want to upgrade to a quick-change tool post (~$200).

Ask away if you have any more questions.
We have a very knowledgable and sharing/caring group here.

-brino

EDIT: as for price point, that's not bad depending on condition.
I bought my Southbend 9" for CAD $600, knowing it had some wear on the ways. I paid extra for chucks.

Maybe it’s just me. But, I would not buy a flat belt lathe. Been there and done that, no more…Dave.

$800 for a lathe with a quick change gear box is a good deal around my parts if the lathe is in decent shape. I don't have an issue with a flat belt lathe. I upgraded from a V belt lathe to a flat belt lathe and couldn't be happier.

I have an Atlas 12" (made for Sears / Craftsman) very similar to that Logan. My Atlas does not have the quick change gear box. I have been looking for a decent price on a quick change gear box for several years. They all seem to go in the $300 - $500 range. So to me the quick change feature is worth $300 - $500 on its own.

I ended up buying a South Bend 13" lathe with a quick change gear box and after I sell my Atlas I will be close to the out of pocket of adding a quick change gear box to my Atlas.

Looks like a good deal to me, I'd jump on it.

Thanks for the welcome and all the great info so far!
I called him and the earliest we can meet is Saturday morning. Hope he still has it by then...
If I end up with it I'll be sure to post everything it came with and many more questions..

Vintage iron!!
Might need some clean up.
Bed looks longer than standard issue.
The parts are likely worth $800.

Daryl
MN

Logans are great machines. Even if it has some wear (which it will), you will still be able to make good parts on it. The main issue is the bearings and gears. If its good there, I'd say that's a fair price.

If I recall correctly, ten years ago the total headstock rebuild for my 10" Wards was a little more than $600.
These were Scott Logan bearings and bushings. This was my first rebuild. He patiently walked me through each step. Unlikely you will get that kind of help from your local bearing supplier.
Between Scott and HM you should be able to get any/all questions answered.

Daryl
MN

Back