Help Identify This Craftsman Articulating Saw??

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
A friend could not pass this opportunity. He saw it, thought of me, dropped it off at my house this afternoon.
I came home and this is what I found.
What are your thoughts?IMG_0113[1].JPGIMG_0114[1].JPGIMG_0115[1].JPGIMG_0116[1].JPG

The arm is spring loaded, it pulls out about 20 degrees and returns to it's original position. Everything is locked up right now. I'll keep it soaking in penetrating oi.
I am curious to say the least.
I can see a saw blade on the extended 90 degree arbor, but for what purpose?

A friend could not pass this opportunity. He saw it, thought of me, dropped it off at my house this afternoon.
I came home and this is what I found.
=========================================================

It is a Craftsman Swing Saw. Made in the 1950s. Owners manuals can be found on E-bay. ------ John

Nice call Waterlooboy. Here's a pic that makes it a bit easier to visualize.

Capture swing saw.JPG

Would this be a commercial saw for a retail lumber yard, contractor framing a home or something a home owner would buy in the 50’s?

All Craftsman tools were made with the homeowner in mind. I have a Craftsman metal lathe that was made in the 50s using "Zamak" die cast metal gears which helped making the tool cheaper to buy for the homeowner.

It looks like your swing saw can be rotated up to 90 degrees allowing you to rip boards like a radial arm saw.

It's a vintage finger-chopper! LOL
the neighborhood will be calling you "stubs" in no time

Stubs, that's funny.
I am missing 2 fingers on my left hand. My youngest son, now in his 30's, has called me , "Stubs" for quite some time.
Respectfully of course.

Back