Help Identify This Knife Feature

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi folks,

My Son in law asked me if I knew that the features on his knife blade were for. I didn't have a clue..I am a clock guy.

He is wondering about all the various slots cut in the back of the blade near the tip. I would appreciate any help.
knife.jpg knife 2.jpg

Thank you

David

It's called jimping, to prevent your finger from sliding when using the knife.

It's called jimping, to prevent your finger from sliding when using the knife.

Well it is a slow day if I can't learn something. Thank you Will. After you informed me I checked some out on line and most jimping seems to be much farther back on the spine closer to the handle.

Would this be some sort of special purpose knife?

David

I knew it was for finger traction but did not know the term jimping, and thats why I join forums. To learn and share.
Thanks for the lesson. From the looks of your picture, when the blade is open the jimping would be close to the handle.

I knew it was for finger traction but did not know the term jimping, and thats why I join forums. To learn and share.
Thanks for the lesson. From the looks of your picture, when the blade is open the jimping would be close to the handle.

Oh my I haven't had my first coffee yet. Or course you are right. It is right where it should be. It is my son in law's knife and I have never seen it.

Thanks for straightening me out.

David

Back