Help Identify

ZouchaR

Registered
Registered
A friend of mine recently lost his father who was at the very least a machine shop collector. He had at least two lathes. One is smaller than the other.. Any help identifying it or if anyone is interested in purchasing it. He lives in the Chicago area.IMG_2645.jpgIMG_2646.jpgIMG_2647.jpgIMG_2648.jpgIMG_2649.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2651.jpgIMG_2652.jpgIMG_2653.jpgIMG_2654.jpgIMG_2655.jpg

Older South Bend Lathe. There should be a catalog number somewhere on it. Usually on a stamped plate.

Both levers to the quick-change gear box broken off:
1627949294919.png

Ouch!

Was wondering if it got dropped on it's front.....but the carriage controls seem intact.

-brino

oops, nope.....on closer inspection, some of those are bent too:
1627949458980.png

-brino

Yes, obviously a 9" South Bend model A, the motor is from a gasoline pump (explosion proof). If the broken parts for the QC box atr missing, it is not worth much, could be parted out.

If you cleaned off the label on the front of the gearbox, it would tell you everything you would want to know about your lathe. It looks like a South Bend 9" Model A with a 3½ or 4 foot bed. It appears to have been dropped and damaged. The full extent of the damage won't be known without a complete teardown.

When I bought my basket case Craftsman 12x36 both levers were broken as well. I was able to replace them from eBay finds. They are out there.

Back